Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Hyperemesis...in other words, severe nausea during pregnancy

Did anyone else have this or heard of this. Its an illness 2% of preggo women get that cause severe nausea and pain. I lost maybe ten pounds and sometimes I'm vomiting three or four times a day, it makes me miserable. I was on medication to help, but now that I can't get any more until my next dr. appt, does anyone know any remedies for severe nausea??!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
butterflymeme
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I had hyperemesis with both of my pregnancies and lost 50 lbs with my oldest son and 45 lbs with my youngest son. There was no such thing as a zofran pump back then, 21 and 18 1/2 years ago. Nothing helped me except to have my babies. Sorry not much help.

addy-mama
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM
I had it with my third. I couldnt even keep water down. I was in the hospital with ivs every couple of days. they finally gave me zolfran to help.
Mudfishzgirl
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM
I had it so bad I couldnt keep anything down. I got so dehydrated I was admitted to the cardiac unit to rehydrate and watch my blood pressure. I ended up with a prescription for phenergan(sp?) That was my best friend until DD was born. I was sick my whole pregnancy
Momforhealth
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Ginger..you can buy in pill form.
-Mommy-2-Three-
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Yes, with my daughter, my 3rd, I lost 21 lbs from 6-14 wks, I threw up more than 10x a day, I couldn't even hold water down.............I was hospitalized for dehydration at 7.5 wks & so my Dr gave me zofran (8mg) & it took the edge off but it didn't help the BAD spells right in the morning since I couldn't take it fast enough to prevent those :( it was miserable!

With both my boys I had persistant nausea but only actually threw up maybe 2-3x TOPS the whole pregnancy, the worst of it with them was motion sickness in the car, even when I drove ugh!

MsNeene
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM
I am in my 4th pregnancy and have had it every pregnancy. Nothing really gets rid of it for me but some things that helped me were lemons and little candied to suck on. The meds work a little for a few days then wore off. I'm so sorry you have to endure it. Just keep your eye on the prize. I just count down my weeks left to stay focused
angel0228
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Zofran helped me alot when i was pregnant with my twins all i gained was 15lbs throughout my whole pregnancy. It was an awful experience...
rockinmomnwife
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I had it and nothing helped me but the medications, sorry. Moving around and cooking were no nos without medicine. I lost 20 lbs with my first pregnancythe first month or so, so I definitely feel your pain! I hope you feel better soon.
Easiest thing for me to eat in the morning was an apple but I usually still got sick. Also, preggie pops eased the nausea a tad at first until it got real bad.
Is this your first pregnancy? I don't want to scare you but it will likely happen next pregnancy. 

ETA: Zofran was the only thing that made me feel normal...it was a life saver.

rockinmomnwife
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Phenegran made me sick and so sleepy, lol. 

Quoting Mudfishzgirl:

I had it so bad I couldnt keep anything down. I got so dehydrated I was admitted to the cardiac unit to rehydrate and watch my blood pressure. I ended up with a prescription for phenergan(sp?) That was my best friend until DD was born. I was sick my whole pregnancy

rockinmomnwife
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Mine was severe enough where I would drink a sip of water and immediately it would go back down. But I was lucky to get medication soon enough to only have to go to the ER to get rehydrated once.
My sister and mother both had it, too. I think it runs in the family a lot of times. 

Quoting Ultra_:

Wow, that's crazy. Not even water. I had bad morning sickness my entire pregnancies all 3 times, but nothing like that.

Quoting tyfry7496:

A classmate had this and she was hospitalized and ended up with an I'VE pump attached to her 24/7 to help her stat hydrated. She couldn't even keep water down. This is a serious condition that goes beyond severe morning sickness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN