Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

time management

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM
  • 13 Replies
It always seems like I have no time. I work second shift at a nursing home, take online classes, have 3 kids, their dad is not very involved. I get off work between 11Pm and 3am, i sometimes work doubles. My 5yr old gets up at 6:30am. Im so tired. Im worn down and a little depressed. I miss seeing my 5yr old because I work while shes home. I feel like Im so worn out my 4&2 yr olds arent getting all they could from me. I just feel like there isnt enough of me to go around. I havent emotionally dealt with my divorce, or the major changes in my life. The kids are having abondonment issues. What can I do? My job refuses to switch my shifts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steviechick
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

What do you do when you don't work doubles?  Your four and five year old are old enough to attend preschool so why not spend that time they are in school with your two year old?  What about sleeping from 3 a.m. until your kids wake-up (6 or 7 am) and make breakfast for them?  Your four and five year old should be attending preschool in the morning that would give you time to bond with your 2 year old until they get home from preschool.  I would take a nap when your 2 year old naps and before your other kids come home from preschool.  There should be plenty of time during the day when you aren't napping or sleeping that you can spend with your kids.  I would put forth every effort I had to spend with my kids if I wasn't working a double shift.  I'm sure there are a few days that you can work this out.

3_and_me
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM
My 5yr old is in kindergarten. My four yr old just missed the cut off for the schools pre-k program. I do get up and do things w/them, but I feel like its not enough. I rarely nap so I am always tired. And there are other things that must be done. Housework, classes, and so on. I just feel like there is not enough hours in the day. And since my ex hasn't made a single cs payment I have to work 6 days a week to make ends meet.
MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Can you freshen up your résumé and look for a new job? I think that is the only way if your job won't switch shifts for you. I'm sorry you and the kids are going thru all that. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justahousewife
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Find a mentor/coach or someone you can talk to. It might cost a little but it might really help wrap your head around things and find a peace of mind somewhere in it all. Ask the school about counseling for the kids or check your local social services office for options of counseling, etc. 

It won't give you more time but maybe it'll help you use the time you have more efficiently, let go of guilt/emotions etc and find some contentment.

I wish I personally had the advice to give. :-) Hang in there.

Robsessed98
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Are there other nursing homes you could try to get a job at? I have no clue how you could juggle that schedule. I can usually figure puzzles out,but this one has me stumped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM

abandonment issues from whom?

steviechick
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

You have no options in the current work schedule that you have and that's the main problem. I would start to look for a day job that pays what you make if you doubled or at least close to what you currently get paid.  You have too many things going on and juggling three kids with a busy lifestyle such as yours will cause you to physically collapse.  You need to get a better job first and foremost.

ICURNMOM
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you defer school until all your kids are in school. I will tell you I have been single for ten years and it takes a lot of prioritizing-sometimes on a daily basis. Good luck.

3_and_me
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Their father. While I initiated the divorce, he has decided not to see them. In 6 weeks he saw them for three hours. He doesn't call.

Quoting brieri:

abandonment issues from whom?

3_and_me
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM
My facility is the best paying in the area. And they are paying for me to go to nursing school next year...

Quoting MeeshMom:

Can you freshen up your résumé and look for a new job? I think that is the only way if your job won't switch shifts for you. I'm sorry you and the kids are going thru all that. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN