Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Why is my daughter embarassed when I am around in public?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is six years old, seven in April. It seems as though when we are in public, occasionally at home just her and I, she get's embarassed of me. I'm not sure why, but she gets angry every time I smile at something cute she does or anything like that. Is this normal? Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Maybe I am being to critical, I know I sometimes can, but I don't think it's to the extreme. Maybe I should give her more praise? I thought I was getting better at that. I don't know.

Another thing that makes me think she is like that, is because I use to be like that growing up and even now I don't like being put on the spot. I am moderately shy in public, and have anxiety in lots of situations....

Hmm, can anyone offer any suggestions or thoughts? It's hurting my feelings, even though I know she is not intentionally trying to be like that...

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Kids get embarrassed by their parents at some point. It's part of how things go. Just keep being a loving mom and she'll grow out of it eventually. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vfrancis
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Thank you. : )

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree! Keep being there for her give her her space but remind her you love her and will always be there for her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a typical kid..good luck!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I agree with this!

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Kids get embarrassed by their parents at some point. It's part of how things go. Just keep being a loving mom and she'll grow out of it eventually. :-)

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Sounds like a typical child, my son is only 5 yo and even though he request I do some things for him at home when we are out in public he like to be indepedent and if I forget he gets upset and tells me I"m trying him like a baby and I'm embrassing him, it's a phase and I'm told it last few years 

steviechick
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD always got embarrassed whenever I would dance and sing around her and her friends at the barn where she boarded her horse.  I'm a social butterfly naturally.  So, naturally, I make friends easy and that includes my DD's friends.  ALL of her friends love me and think I'm the 'cool' mom.   They even respect and look up to me and wish I was their mom (sometimes).   As my DD got older she learned to accept her outgoing mom and accept the fact that we are all different - everyone of us.  It is a phase that kids go through.  Today I can dance and sing and my DD will get embarrassed but she just shakes her head and smiles now. 

vfrancis
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Thank you everyone! It makes me feel much better reading all of your ladies reassuring replies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN