Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Innocence vs. Reality

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM
  • 4 Replies

I love seeing my son develop throughout the years and his personality change everyday. The hardest thing for me, I've noticed is since he is so young (2 years) I'm already prepping for him to be more independent and if you want things done (at all) you have to get up and do it. I live with my mom and step dad and his father is not in the pic. But as a good mother, I want him to be aware that you can't just get by with a smile and to be a go getter.  I know in the end he will be himself. Dont get me wrong I still nurture him as a mother should when he needs but sometimes they say I'm being hard on him. I look at it like this...being too nice is great but look at where being too nice has gotten me. I want him to succeed in life and know that you can have fun but theres a time to get to work handle business, being aware, and standing up for what you believe is right. The world can be nasty and I just want to prep him. ninja

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sid1083
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Hard work isn't to be underestimated, but sometimes knowing when a smile is the best you can do is also a valuable lesson. Fate and other people also factors - and those aren't controllable.

Two may be a little young for this, but you can only parent the best way you know how.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strngenough
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM
I balance it with hugs. I have high standards and expectations, but I always give the love. I think your doing good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
That's good but you have to remember that he is a child and needs to be treated as a child. In 20 years of working with children I have seen parents push their children so hard that they're burned out by elementary school. Kids shouldn't be stressed to meet high expectations. They need love and encouragement.

Quoting strngenough:

I balance it with hugs. I have high standards and expectations, but I always give the love. I think your doing good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strngenough
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM
I don't see anything in her post saying that she isn't letting him be a kid. Sounds like she just expects him to clean up after himself. Maybe there's a lot more I missed. You play and then clean up the mess. That's normal.

Quoting tyfry7496:

That's good but you have to remember that he is a child and needs to be treated as a child. In 20 years of working with children I have seen parents push their children so hard that they're burned out by elementary school. Kids shouldn't be stressed to meet high expectations. They need love and encouragement.

Quoting strngenough:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN