Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holy crap! I sent my lawyer an email to get a price quote on how much it would cost to get my child support order changed..... And I just got a bill for $75 for 15 min of his precious time.
I had no idea that email would cost me $75, or I never would have hit send!!

Plus it wasnt even my lawyer who responded, it was his ditzy paralegal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Replies (21-22):
iHay
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Boy id like to be a lawyer if thats the kind of money you make.

Quoting conniejo75:

Mine was 350 & that was avg in my area

Quoting iHay:

He gets paid 300 an hour?? Wowzers

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_AP
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

It totally depends on your area, the market, the type of law, the demand.....the charging of fees is actually governed by the rules of ethics and lawyers are prohibited from charging exorbitant fees they can't justify. The highest paid attorney around here is $500/hour. He's also the greatest trial attorney in the state, has an AMAZING recovery records...and he only goes to trial. All the partners and associates work the case and he does the trial only. If you sign with that firm you know that if it goes to trial you will be paying him $500/hour. 

Family law around here is pretty much standard around $200-$250...you can get some sole practitioners cheaper but you run the risk of a part-time lawyer that maybe doesn't have the commitment, or a new attorney that is trying it on their own. In my experience...the lawyers that cdharge $300/hour are worth it. My boss certainly is (he's not family law, but charged $300/hr for litigation through the bankruptcy court). So if you become a lawyer and can charge $300 per hour...kudos, you totally deserve it! There is an insane amount of practice and knowledge that comes with those fees, plus continuing education and other costs of doing business :)

Quoting iHay:

Boy id like to be a lawyer if thats the kind of money you make.

Quoting conniejo75:

Mine was 350 & that was avg in my area

Quoting iHay:

He gets paid 300 an hour?? Wowzers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)