Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

A Difficult Choice

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have a girlfriend whom recieves a lot of problems from her mother-in law (she is Arab) because of her race (she is Black). Her mother-in law calls her names like monkey. You would think that she would accept her since she is the mom to her 4 grandkids. Personally I dont think I could marry someone knowing that their family is racist. I dont think I am strong enough. Would you do it?
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erinmomofone
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM
My family is racist many of them are, thats one reason they don't talk to me because my daugher is biracial. They can't except that she's biracial. She's my everything so I don't get it. I just wish everyone could get along no matter the color of their skin. Oh and to answer your question yes I would, you can't love someone for their skin color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
You really cannot help who you fall in love with. But you can decide how you allow yourself to be treated. I would tell mother in law that she will treat me with respect or she won't see my kids, plain and simple, since my kids are half my genetics.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

You really cannot help who you fall in love with. But you can decide how you allow yourself to be treated. I would tell mother in law that she will treat me with respect or she won't see my kids, plain and simple, since my kids are half my genetics.

tyfry7496
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM
I'd do the same thing.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ayacocca
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM
So very well put.

Quoting erinmomofone:

My family is racist many of them are, thats one reason they don't talk to me because my daugher is biracial. They can't except that she's biracial. She's my everything so I don't get it. I just wish everyone could get along no matter the color of their skin. Oh and to answer your question yes I would, you can't love someone for their skin color.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Wow...that is awful

soaringflutes
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I'm expecting a bi-racial baby, and I would never allow anyone to call me names, or treat me or my child with disrespect.  Your friend deserves better.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

how does her husband treat her? i guess if he was the best man in the world, id stay away from his family. hed need to respect that.

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hell no !!!!! Yes you marry the man but you also marry the family, there no way I would allow anyone to treat me less and call me names.

strngenough
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Nope not up for the inlaw fun. I'm not a big enough person to ignore it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)