Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Will Medicaid cover my baby after he/she is born?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

This pregnancy has been too stressful for me...I'm really stressing out right now over this! I don't want my baby to go without health insurance...

When I found out I was pregnant, my mom kicked me off her insurance and my parents kicked me out, which forced me to live with my grandmother, who still lives in the same city as them. I had no health coverage, so I applied for, and got, medicaid (Texas). I'm due this Tuesday (SCARRRRY!!!) and this is my first. My relationship with my parents is still very good, and has gotten better as my pregnancy has come to a close. Over these past few weeks, my parents have been hinting at maybe letting me come live back with them as they do not think a newborn should be living in a home where there is a heavy smoker (my grandmother...yes they've had concerns over the course of my pregnancy, but I made it clear to my grandmother that smoking inside was no longer allowed, which now she is sick of smoking outside as it is getting cold) and in an area where there are a LOT of stray dogs and gang activity. I assume that also means that they'll pick me up on their insurance...I'm just concerned about the babys health coverage.

My parents definitely make too much to qualify for medicaid. My concern is that if I move back in with my parents and change my address to theirs, will medicaid still cover the baby? I ask this because I'm not even sure if my parents will get me on their insurance, so I have no idea what they'll do about the baby.

The father will more than likely not be involved, so I can't count on him for anything including insurance for the baby. Even if he was ordered to pay child support, he wouldn't pay and would run off. I hope this made sense...it barely makes sense even to me and I'm the one writing it! I plan on talking with my parents tomorrow evening about everything, just to clarify if I'll even have a chance at living with them and to see their stance on insurance. Help? =[ I'm 20 years old if that makes any difference... 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

They won't be able to add the baby to their policy unless they have guardianship or custody, is my understanding and they likely won't be able to re-add you (if their policy allows it) until open enrollment. But you need to ask them, and call your Medicaid worker to ask s/he if the baby will be covered under the plan, or a plan. And no, it shouldn't matter where you live, with the exception of how old you are. In my state, or at one time in my state, if you are under age 22 and living with your parents, you have to count their income as part of yours.

Hopefully someone from TX will answer your questions. Though you should have been asking much earlier than this weekend if you are delivering on Tuesday Momma.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Your child should still qualify for medicaid.

Good luck!

MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM
As long as you, the mother, are on Medicaid during your pregnancy your baby will automatically be covered from birth. They will allow the baby to have the Medicaid till the baby's first birthday. You will need to reapply then. Your medicaid will be in effect until 2 months after delivery
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Quoting amonkeymom:

Your child should still qualify for medicaid.

Good luck!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I'm not sure how that would work.  Could you call them and ask them?

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Your baby should be covered under medicaid.

zaylasmommy
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I am from Texas and once the baby is born you have to call medicaid and they will add baby. Whichever healthplan your on call them and they add the baby and the baby will be covered.

MeeshMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM
I had my son at 22, was a student, and medi-cal (Medicaid equivalent in California) paid for the delivery and hospital stay. You need to ask the front desk at your obgyn about signing up for that thru the hospital. I signed up after the birth and they paid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Im in OK. My dd had a baby 2 weeks ago and he was automatically covered on her SoonerCare when he was born. Here you have to get recertified every 6 months which means she has to get recertified when the baby is 6 weeks. Call your dhs office and find out if youd have to use your parents income or since youre an adult will it be based on your income alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mz23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Yes. if you have a steady job you can get healthy family I believe. I think in order for your baby to be on your parents insurance the baby has to be listed as their dependent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)