Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Will Medicaid cover my baby after he/she is born?

Posted by   + Show Post

This pregnancy has been too stressful for me...I'm really stressing out right now over this! I don't want my baby to go without health insurance...

When I found out I was pregnant, my mom kicked me off her insurance and my parents kicked me out, which forced me to live with my grandmother, who still lives in the same city as them. I had no health coverage, so I applied for, and got, medicaid (Texas). I'm due this Tuesday (SCARRRRY!!!) and this is my first. My relationship with my parents is still very good, and has gotten better as my pregnancy has come to a close. Over these past few weeks, my parents have been hinting at maybe letting me come live back with them as they do not think a newborn should be living in a home where there is a heavy smoker (my grandmother...yes they've had concerns over the course of my pregnancy, but I made it clear to my grandmother that smoking inside was no longer allowed, which now she is sick of smoking outside as it is getting cold) and in an area where there are a LOT of stray dogs and gang activity. I assume that also means that they'll pick me up on their insurance...I'm just concerned about the babys health coverage.

My parents definitely make too much to qualify for medicaid. My concern is that if I move back in with my parents and change my address to theirs, will medicaid still cover the baby? I ask this because I'm not even sure if my parents will get me on their insurance, so I have no idea what they'll do about the baby.

The father will more than likely not be involved, so I can't count on him for anything including insurance for the baby. Even if he was ordered to pay child support, he wouldn't pay and would run off. I hope this made sense...it barely makes sense even to me and I'm the one writing it! I plan on talking with my parents tomorrow evening about everything, just to clarify if I'll even have a chance at living with them and to see their stance on insurance. Help? =[ I'm 20 years old if that makes any difference... 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Replies (11-14):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Good luck to you. Welcome to the group. 

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM
My ds was on as soon as I called in and reported my live birth and ran a copy of his hospital bc up to the local pa office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM

talk to medicaid now before. ds was covered on state insurance all i did was send in his bc after he was born

NCISfan2003
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Even though you would live with your parents you can still claim yourself as a seperate household. I live with my mom and I would still qualify for FS and Medicaid for my son. She just fills out a paper saying I pay her so much a month to live there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN