Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

potty back track

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM
  • 12 Replies
Hey ladies my ds is 2.5 yrs. We potty trained the week before school started in mid August..by mid September he was completely out of pull-ups. The school moved him up to class for potty trained kids.. while in that class he started having boo boo accident..after the 4th they moved him back to class for potty training learners..he's also been having more accidents at home..I know he usually gets really involved in the games he playing or cartoon he's watching and doesn't want to stop. This is my first child...is it normal for him to regress..the only change really is that my work schedule chaNged..then I thought he may not like new teacher and new class because it was more structered..Idk know...should I put him back in pull ups
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

He's pretty young yet, so hopefully he will pick it back up.  MY DS2 who is 4.5 reverted back to ngiht wetting. Our Pedi has reassured me that it is normal for boys to have this problem and that it takes them longer and it can be normal til 6-7 years old!

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:18 AM

My son didn't become day trained until he was 3 yo so it took some going back and forth with him. I say be patient and if he is a talker ask him why he been having so many accidents, ask if he needs someone to remind him to use the bathroom, he may tell you there something wrong. But I would just be patient, kids go back and forth especially during potty training, and I have just started potty training for evening and it's going slow.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Sometimes you need to get him away from all the games and watching too much tv.  Teach him that when he feels the urge to go, to tell you and let him run to the toilet.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM
DS is 2 1/2 too and has been pretty much trained since July but he has his accidents I have to stop him and remind him to go if we are playing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM
My son was fully trained by the time he was 2 years and about a month old. He did have a few accidents not long after but it was due to being off his regular schedule due to Christmas holidays. Once we got back on schedule he was fine and never had another mess.

I do not recommend putting him back in pull ups, at least during the day. If you do, you're letting him know it's ok not to use the toilet. Pull ups offer no negative consequences for soiling because they fully absorb the wetness. Putting him in pull ups will set up a cycle of going back and forth that will most likely run you crazy.

I'm surprised they moved him back for only 4 messes. They should know transition can sometimes cause small regression.

Stay consistent and offer rewards. The rewards should be something he doesn't get any other time.

Feel free to message me if you need suggestions for rewards.
EJs_Mama2k10
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice..I will keep these things in mind..when I try to talk to him about it..he just looks at me... his teacher at school will ask him and he will say he doesn't have to potty or they take him to bathroom along with class and he won't go then..but like 5-10 min later he goes in his clothes...
strngenough
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Maybe he is potty shy? Some people always have a hard time going in public places or with strangers. It could be that way with the teacher. If you have time could you go to school sometimes and help him there? Maybe show him it's ok?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Its not abnormal. My 4&5 yo gss still have aaaccidents at night sometimes. When hes so engrossed in his games or whatever, remind him to take a potty break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EJs_Mama2k10
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Thanks for the support/advice...

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

He's pretty young yet, so hopefully he will pick it back up.  MY DS2 who is 4.5 reverted back to ngiht wetting. Our Pedi has reassured me that it is normal for boys to have this problem and that it takes them longer and it can be normal til 6-7 years old!

EJs_Mama2k10
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I tried sitting down with him and talking about it..but he just gets quiet and wont answer..or changes the subject..we'll see how it goes.. thanks for the tips/support

Quoting victoriahearts:

My son didn't become day trained until he was 3 yo so it took some going back and forth with him. I say be patient and if he is a talker ask him why he been having so many accidents, ask if he needs someone to remind him to use the bathroom, he may tell you there something wrong. But I would just be patient, kids go back and forth especially during potty training, and I have just started potty training for evening and it's going slow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN