Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

do ever feel like this

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM
  • 13 Replies
*let me start by saying all negative comments will b ignored. I need support not negativity*

Lately I have been stressed my son is 2.5 he's so stubborn and has a smart mouth..it amazes me at times. I get so frustrasted with him sometimes..latelt he seems to be getting into everything worse. Doing stuff he knows not to and picking up crazy habits..like spitting..he's also been having more potty accidents..I try talking to him, time outs, they don't seem to work. Somwtimes I'm so tired from work, etc I feel stressed...sometimes I wonder if I made right decision to have a baby by myself...I know that's bad..but sometimes I wish I had help or his dad around for support...(background: I got pregnant..my boyfriend said he didn't want anymore kids..already had 7 yr old daugther from previous marriage. So I had my baby solo)

I love my son..but lately he seems to b so defiant...I get stressed out...I hate when my uncle comes and talks to him he's so much better for him...its so frustrating doing it alone...

Mostly just venting.... but any tips on redirection etc will help...lately he's been using potty on himself more, started this spitting habit, he hit his teacher
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

*HUGS* sounds like the terrible 2's...hopefully it will pass! Good luck mama!!

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup, welcome to the terrible two's stage and at some point we have all been there overwhelmed and at the end of ropes on how to deal with it. I found that with my son the more attention I gave him, like reading a book, playing a game, getting him to clean up with me, stuff like that the less he felt he need to be terrible to get my attention and the less I saw of the bad behavior, he may just want your attention and sometimes begin bad gets it faster. Try giving him more attention and see where it goes.  And you aren't a bad mother because you feel overwhelmed welcome to being a mother. Just remember all these stages pass and whether you were with the father of you child or not, you would still be gong through these motions.

jodee126
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I'm so glad I'm not alone! My daughter is almost 2 1/2 and she has been having terrible tantrums!  Every morning when she has tantrums when I try to get her dressed and at night trying to go to bed.  I am recently divorced and her dad lives 2 states away and isn't really involved.  I asked her this morning if she didnt want to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house (my parents watch her while I work, bless them) and she said no, and I asked if it was because she wanted to stay home with me and she said yes.  Ugh! What guilt.. Obviously I have to work, but how do you explain that to a 2 1/2 year old?  After reading the first reply it sounds like she is doing it to get my attention or because she wants more of my attention.  :(  It is just so frustrating though, not sure how to deal. 

LilAsMom526
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM
You said it perfectly. Motherhood can be overwhelming but its so worth it. I'm a single full time mother but my son can drive me nuts he's your sons age too. It'll get better except 3s are suppose to be worse yikes good Luck mama! You can do it! You have so far! Walk away if you need to take a deep breath too. Message me if you'd like to talk:) and I think your son may need more attention could be. trial and error. I've got faith in you:) you'll make it.

Quoting victoriahearts:

Yup, welcome to the terrible two's stage and at some point we have all been there overwhelmed and at the end of ropes on how to deal with it. I found that with my son the more attention I gave him, like reading a book, playing a game, getting him to clean up with me, stuff like that the less he felt he need to be terrible to get my attention and the less I saw of the bad behavior, he may just want your attention and sometimes begin bad gets it faster. Try giving him more attention and see where it goes.  And you aren't a bad mother because you feel overwhelmed welcome to being a mother. Just remember all these stages pass and whether you were with the father of you child or not, you would still be gong through these motions.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs mama I've used different things we have a mr potato head we build when he gets a good report from school (a piece a day) putting toys in quiet time not just him. 3 strikes rule (he gets 3 chances then we leave the activity or looses the movie) I have found getting to his level and staying calm instead of yelling works best. You don't need a dad to discipline be strong you are the boss not him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_AP
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Frequently. I'm almost always super frustrated with my 6yo because she is fantastic for everyone but me...I have a hard time relating to her for some reason, and a hard time being empathetic (she's super emotional) and parenting her. And then I feel guilty because frankly most of the time I just like my 3yo better. I still love her....but lately sometimes I would just rather being around the simplicity of my 3yo :(

iHay
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this
They call it the terrible twos because F'ing awful doesnt start with a T.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaveFaith1215
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I'm so sorry it's this stressful for you. It sucks, I know it does. I've been there, and sometimes still there! 

I didn't have these problems specifically, but my friends son went through a hitting phase. My friend ended up getting him one of those pop-back-up-when-you-hit-it  thingys.  His was a cartoon character.  It's like a balloon with a heavy bottom. When you punch it, it comes back up. 

When ever he would go to hit something - she would halt his arm in mid-air, take him to the balloon thing and tell him to hit that. Of course during all of this she would give him the "it's not ok to hit, if you are angry fine, but take it out on something that doesn't breathe" talk. 

It seemed to help a lot. He actually stopped altogether after a while. 

Best of luck! days will get better! 

Robsessed98
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like normal terrible 2s. Just set your limits, be consistent and love him no matter what he does. It may not seem like it, but you will survive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof232
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM
My daughter is three and I have found thtat involving her as much as possible helps. She is very stubborn and she has to be in everything. Sometimes it can just be hard but take it day by day and enjoy the sweet moments you have together. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)