Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to keep a 2 year old in his bed?

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 7 Replies

I am now officially a "single mom" and I am having trouble at bedtime with my son.  He is one who will fight sleep until it is impossible or he is forced to slow down.  At bedtime, I have started the BAD habit of laying with him...I know, I know.  Bad Mom!  He went from a crib to a queen size bed.  However, the nightly beating I take of him kicking, sometimes hitting, games of steamrolling, eye poking, etc, are taking their toll.  I cannot resort to spanking him/yelling EVERY night, but yet if I leave the room, he just comes out after me.  I need some help.

I've tried reading him stories, having him watch his suffed animals so they don't "escap", I've tried sitting on a chair...sometimes the chair works, sometimes it doesn't.  I've left him in his room and he has cried himself to sleep a few times-but this was only when he'd stay in the room.  Aside from putting a gate up in the doorway I'm not sure what else to do.  Help!

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
At 2 years I did a sticker reward system with my son. He started the night with 3 stickers. Each time he got out of bed he'd lose a sticker. If he had any left the next morning he'd put them on his chart. When he filled the chart he got to pick a prize. I got his prizes at the dollar store.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM
My twins are 2 and I still keep them in cribs. They share a room and I know that if I converted their beds to toddler beds, they would just get up and play as soon as I put them down. I'm waiting until they can understand the concept of rewards and reasoning. They don't talk very well yet so its hard to reason with them why they have to do something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
USE ROPE..LOL JKIDDING...GET A GATE PUT AT THE DOOR SO HE CANT GET OUT ..EVERY TIME HE GETS UP LAY HIM BACK DOWN .DON'T TALK TO HIM JUST PUT HIM DOWN.
lruggio
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to tell ya...as a single mom, I went through this too...I had classes and work t o go to in the morning and fighting all night to keep a toddler in his room wore me out...I finally put a mattress on the floor in my room and it worked nicely...I would slowly move the mattress out of my room a bit at a time and finally, my son was back in his room..it took a long while but we both got sleep...I say, in the end, just do what helps you all get through it.  He will not be in your room as a teen, I can tell you that...just do what works for you

amomynous_j
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

why is it bad to lay with him? if that's what works, that's what works. i lay with both my kids to get them to sleep. 

tyfry7496
by Janet on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Exactly. There is nothing wrong laying with a child to put them to sleep, especially a 2 yr old. You can also rub his back or tummy. Softly rubbing his forehead can help too.

Quoting amomynous_j:

why is it bad to lay with him? if that's what works, that's what works. i lay with both my kids to get them to sleep. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1JeannaB
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for ALL your help-you've given me a few new ideas.  Last night when we were in his bed trying to go to sleep, he was wrestling around and actually bit me.  That was fun.  So, no treats today and no Fireman Sam when we get home tonight since he wouldn't apologize last night or this morning.  Gotta stick to my guns, right?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)