Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

1st holiday as a single mom

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
I made it...sort of. I took my son 4 hours away so we could have turkey with my Dad. We've never done that before, so i thought it would be a good way to start a new tradition. It was good. I'm just so sad and lonely. I miss my husband terribly. I miss our family traditions. I miss being able to host the family meal. I'm sure that my son and I will settle into a new norma, and we did have a good day yesterday. We're not driving home until tomorrow, so I have to take it one hour at a time.

Please don't bash me for loving the man i had been with for the last 12+ years. I know he left. I know I'm better off. I know I have to move forward. But I am grieving the biggest loss of my life. Let me be sad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakesMom712
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM
It'll get better. One day at a time. We've all had times we missed our ex's, be it something big like a holiday or something small like shoveling the snow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinmomofone
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I know how you feel, this was our first holiday without my ex. I miss him too but I know it's best. Hope you feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainCookie
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Its great to move on and make your own traditions. Did your son enjoy it?

And no matter how bad the relationship was, you spent over 12 years with this man. Some part of you will always remember the good times even if they weren't frequent. You may always love him for the man that fathered your child. There's nothing wrong with that, honey. You just also need to know that its ok to move on and be in a relationship with yourself.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM
*hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I felt the same way you did on my first holiday after my divorce. It's completely normal and will get better in time. Hugs 

Sj218
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Thank you. My son has had a good time. He had his sad moments, but he got enough attention to make it a good time. It was just my Dad, SM and 19yo sis so he was the center of attention. He's 9 and one of the youngest grand kids, so it's always a treat for my parents to see him. Living 4 hours away, we only see eachother a few times a year.

My relationship with my STBX was actually pretty good most of the time. I have a lot of fond memories. I miss having someone put their hand on my back or pat my leg under the table. I miss having someone special to sit next to and someone to lean against when I'm watching a movie. It's those little things that make me feel the most alone.

Quoting CaptainCookie:

Its great to move on and make your own traditions. Did your son enjoy it?

And no matter how bad the relationship was, you spent over 12 years with this man. Some part of you will always remember the good times even if they weren't frequent. You may always love him for the man that fathered your child. There's nothing wrong with that, honey. You just also need to know that its ok to move on and be in a relationship with yourself.

Sj218
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
It feels like the little things are the hardest. Turkey dinner was no big deal. It was not having him to hang out with and watch football or talk about Christmas decorating that made me feel so alone. I miss the companionship more than the actual relationship with him.

Quoting JakesMom712:

It'll get better. One day at a time. We've all had times we missed our ex's, be it something big like a holiday or something small like shoveling the snow.

Sj218
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Thank you

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

*hugs*

Sj218
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:41 AM
How long did it take?

Quoting owl0210:

I felt the same way you did on my first holiday after my divorce. It's completely normal and will get better in time. Hugs 

Sj218
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM
What did you do? Did you have an enjoyable holiday?

Quoting erinmomofone:

I know how you feel, this was our first holiday without my ex. I miss him too but I know it's best. Hope you feel better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)