Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

IF MY MOM NAME IS ON A DEED

Posted by   + Show Post
Can my mom sell a home that has her name on the deed my stepfather passed away on the 13th her name isnt on the loan its on the Deed she has her own place. Do she has right to sell the home?The only thing she will have issues is his wrong turn family thier so nasty they have the keys to the house im going to get her lawyer so she can see what her legal rights are he didnt leave her anything its not like she is doing something wrong her name is on the DEED.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Replies (11-11):
victoriahearts
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I agree with this, it would be much easier to speak with the broker, since they will know about situation like this and will guide you in order to make a commission, if action is brought then seek an attorney. 

Quoting HeartofGold:

It wouldn't hurt to have a consult with a lawyer. I wouldn't jump to a legal battle if she doesn't have to though. It would get costly.

First, I would talk to a broker. See what they say. See if there are any liens on the house other then the bank if there is a mortgage. Then if everything is clear she can start the process of selling the house. If the family then starts some kind of action, I would hire an attorney.

Quoting VADIVA23:

Do you think she will need a lawyer?

Quoting HeartofGold:

She has a right to live in the home since her name is on the deed. She is responsible for the insurance, taxes, etc. She should be able to sell the home but the loan on the house (if there is one) will have to be taken care of as the bank holds a lien on the property. I would suggest she talk to a real estate broker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)