Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

babysitter issues

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM
  • 10 Replies
How would you handle a sitter that truly loves your dd but doesn't always respect what I say bc she has grown children and experience. For example my dd doesn't care for chocolate or candy which Is greaaattt. But they give it to her! LIKE WHY? she always days no kha-kha mommy, or fuck nasty to me. So how is it she was eating kit kats in the morning. Or flavored water...she drinks plain water! And I said it has sugar substitutes in It. They don't understand, bc they don't know what anything is unless its labled sucrose! JUST IRRITATED
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rae021
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:53 AM
*YUCK DEF NOT FUCK, sorry typo,predictive text. Yikes
erinmomofone
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I guess remind the sitter what she can and can't eat. I mean if she doesn't like something put it on the list of can't eat. You are mom so you have the right to say yes and no to what the babysitter feeds her, or have food for the babysitter to feed you child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Being prepared to having some food in the house for what your child should be eating vs not eating is a great way to let the sitter know what acceptable for your child.

Ali5683
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Lie and say it's a food allergy and that it's been making her sick. That should stop her...

VonMarieD
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Doesn't matter how old their kids are or how much experience he or she has....those are YOUR kids. So only YOU have a say so in how YOU want them taken care of. They are there to BABYSIT, that is it! So they can either get with the program or keep it moving. Good luck Lol!
Tea4Tas
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting VonMarieD:

Doesn't matter how old their kids are or how much experience he or she has....those are YOUR kids. So only YOU have a say so in how YOU want them taken care of. They are there to BABYSIT, that is it! So they can either get with the program or keep it moving. Good luck Lol!

I am assuming that they are watching the child in their home-or else why would she have things that her child doesn';t eat even available?

I never had my sitter watch my kids in my house-WAY too expensive tax wise.  We discussed issues like this, as they arose.   Some smaller issues I let go.  For example her family says grace at every meal -we do not. That was an issue I didn't care about.  We saw eye to eye on food issues, and that was because I made sure of that when I interviewed her.  Potty trainingissues we were a bnit apart on-she thought 2 was a good age-none of my kids were interested at that age-so i let her try-and when after a week she was getting no where-we agreed to stop until they were more ready. Compromise is the key to a good sitter/parent /child relationship.

That is why all; 4 of my kids had the stability of the same sitter-I used her for 20 YEARS.

tyfry7496
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Tell her your daughter is allergic to artificial sweeteners. If she continues to not listen to you then it might be time to find another sitter that will listen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilAsMom526
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Just bring her food/snacks with you when you go. And give her a list of things she can and can't feed her. People raise their kids differently. And It's your child. she needs to respect you and your food choice for your dd. and especially don't force them to eat something the child doesn't want especially unhealthy stuff. Good luck mama!!
easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I like this suggestion

Quoting LilAsMom526:

Just bring her food/snacks with you when you go. And give her a list of things she can and can't feed her. People raise their kids differently. And It's your child. she needs to respect you and your food choice for your dd. and especially don't force them to eat something the child doesn't want especially unhealthy stuff. Good luck mama!!

baby_boy2012
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Oh wow, see this would drive me NUTS. I'm a single mom and work fulltime. I also have a sitter who loves my child very very much. She has older children and makes very bad eating choices for herself and her children. I have made it very very clear that I am NOT OKAY with my child eating candy or anything that is not necessary for a small child--basically ALL CANDY, sodas, flavored water-- all NOT okay for me and I've made that very clear.

If I were you I would sit the sitter down and tell her we needed to have a serious conversation. Tell her you respect the experience she has gained in parenting from raising her own children, tell her you love the fact that she cares so much for your child and that you feel you can be at ease when you're away from her because you know the sitter will take good care of her. Then bring in what you're not ok with. Tell her you would like your decisions on what your child eats respected and that you do not feel that eating candy and flavored drinks is necessary for your child's nutrition. Express to her how important this is to you and if she still does not understand and continues disrespecting your requests, I would SERIOUSLY consider looking for other sitter arrangements. Eating candy and flavored drinks will hurt your child in the long run and if you don't control that now, it will be harder to control once your child is older.

I hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)