Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

The Baby Daddy Is My Roommate...

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this

Any other moms here have a great relationship with there ex (baby daddy) and are roommates? I know I'm going to have some haters on the subject but it's working for us. Has been for about 8 months now. We live separate lives but still share in all responsibilities with our son. I work days and he works nights (he's a cop). He takes our son to preschool in the mornings and I pick him up at night. We pay for everything equally. He can date if he wants and I can date if I want, although I don't care to right now.

We do things as a family sometimes as well. We get along great. We mostly see each other in passing a couple times a week. I live on the top floor of the house which is the master bedroom, bathroom and sitting area. He has his own bedroom and bathroom as well. Our son has his own room. We rarely fought when we were together but the romance died. I don't feel romantically connected to him and he feels the same. That could change someday but right now, we are happy being apart and making sure our son is happy and healthy. It's important to us that he never feels like he has to chose between us. We both had divorced parents who fought over us when we were young so we know what it's like to have selfish parents.

We were never married and we work together on everything when it comes to our son. We're both mature and responsible. We have the same views and feelings when it comes to pretty much everything when it comes to our son. I know it's rare to be in a situation like this since I hear so many horror stories of exes being crazy and causing drama affecting the children. I feel lucky that I have it so good and that my son can have both of his parents equally with no fighting or negativity.

Can anyone else here relate? Anyone have great relationships with their baby daddy? I'd like to hear positive experiences from single moms since I always seem to hear negative.

♥ Ali5683
SCENTSY :: aliciaivie.scentsy.us
FINDING ALICIA :: www.findingalicia.com

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that's great! I've never experienced this but as long as it doesn't get hard when you or him brings a new person home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ali5683
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That is actually one of our rules. We don't get to bring someone home. The only way that gets to happen is if it's a serious relationship that has been going on for awhile. We also agreed to not bring our son around anyone we date until we talk to the other parent. The last thing we want is our son getting confused with random people coming in and out of his life. We are the two constant people he can count on. If one of us starts dating and it becomes serious, then we have agreed to let the other one know so that no one is uncomfortable. It's a respect thing.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I think that's great! I've never experienced this but as long as it doesn't get hard when you or him brings a new person home

♥ Ali5683

arkmomma06
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that is great too!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ali5683
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Thank you. Some positive comments are so nice to see. His family hates the idea but they're all a bit nutty anyway. They're Asian and very traditional. We understand the situation is not permanent but right now, it works. It's usually the older generation that judges us for it.

♥ Ali5683

brieri
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I like these stories.  If it works for you then its alll good.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think thats great that you two can get along like that for your child!

erinmomofone
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great! I couldn't do it because I left my ex after him hitting me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ali5683
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Wow, yes that would be a huge deal breaker!! Good for you for getting out of there. :)

Quoting erinmomofone:

♥ Ali5683

erinmomofone
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, i thinks great though. I hope it continues to stay that way. I waited to long there is more to the story but don't feel comfortable putting it on your post. You can pm of you want.

Quoting Ali5683:

Wow, yes that would be a huge deal breaker!! Good for you for getting out of there. :)

Quoting erinmomofone:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriahearts
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I mean kuddos to you and your ex for putting your son first and working from there. Yes it's not the norm for other people but it is for you and that is wonderful. I have a pretty good relationship with my ex but we own separate apts in the same area of the city, we are working on improving our relationship for our son and the babies I'm carrying now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN