Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

The Baby Daddy Is My Roommate...

Posted by   + Show Post

Any other moms here have a great relationship with there ex (baby daddy) and are roommates? I know I'm going to have some haters on the subject but it's working for us. Has been for about 8 months now. We live separate lives but still share in all responsibilities with our son. I work days and he works nights (he's a cop). He takes our son to preschool in the mornings and I pick him up at night. We pay for everything equally. He can date if he wants and I can date if I want, although I don't care to right now.

We do things as a family sometimes as well. We get along great. We mostly see each other in passing a couple times a week. I live on the top floor of the house which is the master bedroom, bathroom and sitting area. He has his own bedroom and bathroom as well. Our son has his own room. We rarely fought when we were together but the romance died. I don't feel romantically connected to him and he feels the same. That could change someday but right now, we are happy being apart and making sure our son is happy and healthy. It's important to us that he never feels like he has to chose between us. We both had divorced parents who fought over us when we were young so we know what it's like to have selfish parents.

We were never married and we work together on everything when it comes to our son. We're both mature and responsible. We have the same views and feelings when it comes to pretty much everything when it comes to our son. I know it's rare to be in a situation like this since I hear so many horror stories of exes being crazy and causing drama affecting the children. I feel lucky that I have it so good and that my son can have both of his parents equally with no fighting or negativity.

Can anyone else here relate? Anyone have great relationships with their baby daddy? I'd like to hear positive experiences from single moms since I always seem to hear negative.

♥ Ali5683
SCENTSY :: aliciaivie.scentsy.us
FINDING ALICIA :: www.findingalicia.com

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
vinajamom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My ex and I live together, it's been 2 years (except for 2 months this year because I bought my own house) but then he moved in because it was hard with my work hours and kids school hours and he works swing so he's here in the day.

We split everything down the middle so there is nothing to argue about money wise, which makes everything SO much easier.
And he dates but I don't right now, but we also have an agreement of not bringing anybody around the house out of respect.

It was weird for both our families and friends in the beginning us having our own rooms, but everybody is used to it now.

So it works for us too...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Its awesome that yall are able to have that kind of relationship. I just wonder whats gonna happen when one of yall get in a potentially serious relationship with someone else, because I can pretty much guarantee you that your living situation and relationship will change. Also, who would get seriously involved with someone who still lives with the ex? Hopefully it will continue to work out for yall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaHens3
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not live with my baby daddy, the man wont even talk to me *shrugs* LOL. Oh well, if we could talk it out and what not that'd be fine with me. I couldn't live with my babies dad, and or my ex DH for that matter lol. Each their own, I couldn't do it. If they were to meet someone who really was serious, things would change even if we were cool an all that good stuff. 

If works for you, and you can do it that's awesome! :) 

strngenough
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm actually going to be in that situation. My ex deploys 6 mo out of the year. He will work nights, I'll go to school during day when he's stateside. I hope it works. I don't want to miss anything of my sons life. I don't want him to miss out either. Hope it works as good as yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ali5683
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Our friends and family were very uncomfortable at first but they got over it after they saw how well it's working. Right now, we're both focused on our careers so it makes sense financially and it's a great perk for our son to have parents who get along. My ex is my best friend. We talk every day but rarely see each other due to schedules. It works.

We joke that our life is a lot like a sitcom. We have friends and family over, we all hang out, holidays are interesting and entertaining with the mixture of people we have, we both have great careers, a nice home, etc. If one of us dates then fine. It's none of my business unless it has to do with our son and we don't bring people home.

I think it works when both parents are mature, responsible and set boundaries/ground rules ahead of time. :)

Quoting vinajamom:

My ex and I live together, it's been 2 years (except for 2 months this year because I bought my own house) but then he moved in because it was hard with my work hours and kids school hours and he works swing so he's here in the day.

We split everything down the middle so there is nothing to argue about money wise, which makes everything SO much easier.
And he dates but I don't right now, but we also have an agreement of not bringing anybody around the house out of respect.

It was weird for both our families and friends in the beginning us having our own rooms, but everybody is used to it now.

So it works for us too...

♥ Ali5683

Ali5683
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

We're free to date but if the person we date can't understand that our situation is to benefit our child and our career then they can move on. I don't have any interest in dating someone who is going to create drama in a situation that has no drama. Life is calm, peaceful and it's working. If someone comes in to screw that up, we are both mature enough to kick them to the curb or tell them to get over it. My ex and I have been best friends for a long time.

I'd rather date a guy who has a positive relationship with the mother of his children rather than have drama. That's just me though. I prefer peace over chaos. If the relationship is meant to be, then they'll make it work. If not, they can move on.

Quoting Robsessed98:

Its awesome that yall are able to have that kind of relationship. I just wonder whats gonna happen when one of yall get in a potentially serious relationship with someone else, because I can pretty much guarantee you that your living situation and relationship will change. Also, who would get seriously involved with someone who still lives with the ex? Hopefully it will continue to work out for yall.

♥ Ali5683

Mena929
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you guys. It really is nice to hear stories like yours.

cdjd23
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never been in that type of situation but if it works for you that's great. It's nice to hear someone who has a positive relationship with the bd and has a stable loving environment for the child despite not being together. Good for you and the bd that you are able to do that for your ds.

KRIZZ25
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM
wow good u to get along..now wen to start dating it could change.
Ali5683
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Nope. As I said before, we have set boundaries and ground rules. We are both very respectful of them. Neither of us is dating right now but it's ok to do so. I just want to focus on my career and he is too.

Quoting KRIZZ25:

wow good u to get along..now wen to start dating it could change.

♥ Ali5683

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)