Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone an RN?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM
  • 18 Replies
Hi ladies wondering if anyone here is an RN? Iam starting my pre recs in the spring then after going on to the nursing program...if I get accepted :-) Iam 32 and will be done when I'm 37 or 38. Anyway just kinda wondering what to expect and kinda connect with some singlets who have been through nursing school. Can't really find any groups.
Thanks!! :-D
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lightoftheworld
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello! I am a RN, I graduated with my associates in 2010. Now I work as a nurse manager for a home health agency. It is great!

I wasnt a single mom when I went through school, but I did have 2 pregnancies/newborns. It is very, very difficult, but also very worth it! If I did not have this career, there is no way I could pay the bills as a single mom. Remember to keep your GPA up, its very competitive!

Good luck :)
Feel free to ask me any questions
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck in your endeavors.

Hope99
by New Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM
I'm 32 also, and going for my RN :) I am starting back up in the spring also, I was told in your pre rec's to not settle for anything lower then a B, it will help you get into nursing school :) good luck to you, you can do it :)
candiMomof3
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Good luck to you too! You still doing your pre recs? My school just started a competive admissions process, used to be a waiying list. so ya grades have to be especially good to be accepted! I'm really excited!
candiMomof3
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Thanks! Do you know if you have previous experience in the medical field does that help in anyway to get accepted? Or give you an advantage I should say. I have a degree in medical assisting. Think I read this somewhere.
mz23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM
I am finishing my prereqs. 2 more to go! I have all As and one B in my nursing prereqs however I neglected a few of my elective classes so I am scared those will hold me back although they don't count towards nursing. I'm so worried now. I wonder if I should change my major : (
lightoftheworld
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:58 AM
If you really want to be a nurse, dont change majors over some elective classes. It would be better to just repeat them to raise your grade and then keep going.

My first year of college (fresh out of highschool) was F's across the board because I quit going but didnt drop the classes. When I decided to get serious, I retook all those classes and replaced the F's with better grades.

Seriously though, I cannot emphasize enough how important GPA is!! These days, the market is saturated with new graduates and it is very difficult to be accepted into a residency at a hospital- more difficult than getting into nursing school! Most require a 3.0 to apply. I graduated with a 2.9, so they wouldnt even talk to me. I started out at a nursing home, then went to hospice (LOVED HOSPICE!!!), and then took this management position when I moved across the country. However, even though I am managing a bunch of nurses, therapists, CNAs and other staff, I bet a hospital would still not interview me because I do not have acute/hospital bedside care. The hospitals have told me that LTC/hospice experience is not acute enough to count towards their requirements.

In the end though, I have not been able to fulfill my dream of being an OB nurse- but I have discovered other areas of nursing that give me great job satisfaction. Life just doesnt always work out the way you plan it!

Quoting mz23:

I am finishing my prereqs. 2 more to go! I have all As and one B in my nursing prereqs however I neglected a few of my elective classes so I am scared those will hold me back although they don't count towards nursing. I'm so worried now. I wonder if I should change my major : (

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:37 AM
I am a LPN and plan on going for ny RN in a couple years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM

RN is 4 and LPN is a year or 2 years? Or am I incorrect? I did try to start my pre-reqs for nursing school but never finished. Good luck. I also have my certificate in medical assisting.

How exciting for you! You should qualify for grants or some kind of assistance being you are a single mom as well. Schools offer programs (just in case you need it)

mz23
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:21 PM

thank you. yes its something i want really bad i will keep on. yea thinhs def dont happen asvyoubplan but you hace accompished a lot although not an ob nurse. i also would like to workbin a hospital for labor and delivery but i will be beyond happy just to say i am a RN. my friend is in the nursing program and she was telling me her school offers housing forvsingle parents, and loans i wont have to pay back till i am finished and that she will help me with my dd. thing is i live in cali and so is my family. her mom lives in fl while the school is in TN. her mom and my mom are best friends since before we were born. anyways i is something that intrests me but i think i need a bigger circle for help. were uou single when you went through the program? what dobyou think?

Quoting lightoftheworld:

If you really want to be a nurse, dont change majors over some elective classes. It would be better to just repeat them to raise your grade and then keep going.

My first year of college (fresh out of highschool) was F's across the board because I quit going but didnt drop the classes. When I decided to get serious, I retook all those classes and replaced the F's with better grades.

Seriously though, I cannot emphasize enough how important GPA is!! These days, the market is saturated with new graduates and it is very difficult to be accepted into a residency at a hospital- more difficult than getting into nursing school! Most require a 3.0 to apply. I graduated with a 2.9, so they wouldnt even talk to me. I started out at a nursing home, then went to hospice (LOVED HOSPICE!!!), and then took this management position when I moved across the country. However, even though I am managing a bunch of nurses, therapists, CNAs and other staff, I bet a hospital would still not interview me because I do not have acute/hospital bedside care. The hospitals have told me that LTC/hospice experience is not acute enough to count towards their requirements.

In the end though, I have not been able to fulfill my dream of being an OB nurse- but I have discovered other areas of nursing that give me great job satisfaction. Life just doesnt always work out the way you plan it!

Quoting mz23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)