Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms
Hi ladies wondering if anyone here is an RN? Iam starting my pre recs in the spring then after going on to the nursing program...if I get accepted :-) Iam 32 and will be done when I'm 37 or 38. Anyway just kinda wondering what to expect and kinda connect with some singlets who have been through nursing school. Can't really find any groups.
Thanks!! :-D
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Replies (11-18):
candiMomof3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Quoting Hope99:

I'm 32 also, and going for my RN :) I am starting back up in the spring also, I was told in your pre rec's to not settle for anything lower then a B, it will help you get into nursing school :) good luck to you, you can do it :)

by candiMomof3 Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Good luck to you too! You still doing your pre recs? My school just started a competive admissions process, used to be a waiying list. so ya grades have to be especially good to be accepted! I'm really excited!

candiMomof3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM
[quote name="lightoftheworld" id="0"]Hello! I am a RN, I graduated with my associates in 2010. Now I work as a nurse manager for a home health agency. It is great!

I wasnt a single mom when I went through school, but I did have 2 pregnancies/newborns. It is very, very difficult, but also very worth it! If I did not have this career, there is no way I could pay the bills as a single mom. Remember to keep your GPA up, its very competitive!

Good luck :)
Feel free to ask me any questions[/
Thanks! Do you know if you have previous experience in the medical field does that help in anyway to get accepted? Or give you an advantage I should say. I have a degree in medical assisting. Think I read this somewhere.
candiMomof3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Quoting BeachMommy07:

RN is 4 and LPN is a year or 2 years? Or am I incorrect? I did try to start my pre-reqs for nursing school but never finished. Good luck. I also have my certificate in medical assisting.

How exciting for you! You should qualify for grants or some kind of assistance being you are a single mom as well. Schools offer programs (just in case you need it)

The RN program is 2 years after you get dine w pre recs which depending on what you have done (me none :-/) lol I'm lookin at about 5 years! I figure I'm getting old and I've always wanted up do it but have never been more ready than Iam now! The time is gonna go by anyway might as well do something worth while as it goes by! :-D
candiMomof3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I apologize for my weird random posts on this topic tonight I'm using my phone and I have no clue what I'm doing lol!!
RNmom365
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a RN-- I am quite proud to claim a degree for each of my children, as I have a BS in biology, BS in nursing, and MS in nursing education. I teach nursing at a community college. I am currently enrolled to go back for my post- masters certificate in nursing leadership, as I ultimately want to get my doctorate in nursing. My advise- doesn't matter your age- just keep reaching for your goals :)

Nena70
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Hi -- I'v been an RN for  20 yrs. I did it right out of high school. I worked in labor and delivery which i loved. Physically im tired and now work in clinic- women's health. My daughter is in college now ,too. She wants to be a nurse in this field . We know there are alot of others who want it too. It takes longer now. I told my daughter to give herself 10 yrs. to be done. Get your best grades. School prereg are hard and are a weed out process.  YOU can do it if you give it  your all. It is hard to get a job now but in the next 10 yrs alot of older nurses will be retiring and  there will be more opportunities for new graduates. Its a great lucative profession.  let me know if you have any questions.

Hope99
by New Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Thank you :) yep I'm still doing my pre-rec's. I'll be getting my RN about the same time as you. I'm a single parent doing a little at a time well I work. I can't wait, people have told me time will fly and before I know it I will be done with school. It's a very rewarding career and I'm excited too :)
lightoftheworld
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM
for the questions about the degree programs... There are lots of different types of programs.

LPN/LVN is generally one year.
RN associate is usually 2 years (not including pre-reqs)
RN bachelors is usually 4 years (not including pre-reqs)

Different schools have different ranking processes for admissions. My school had a point system- points for each completed pre-req, points based on how you scored on their test, points for previous medical experience.

I started with phlebotomy and then went to LPN school. I used my LPN to bridge into the RN program, which was 3 semesters (the bridge students skip the 1st RN semester).

None of that included pre-reqs... My pre-reqs were done several years before. Thankfully, I took a good variety and I could apply almost all of them.

As for assistance for low income/single parents- I think that totally depends on your school and what they offer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN