Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Teenage son with Asberger's is driving me nuts!

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM
  • 3 Replies

It ishard to like him much less show real affection for him. He feels the difference in how I interact with the other kids but doesn't know how to change his own behavior. How do I love someone who argues with me, puts me and his sibs down all the time, lies as easily as he breathes...I don't know how. Open to advice.

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Perhaps therapy may help? 

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Since he lacks the ability to consider other people's feelings, it's difficult for him to understand how his behavior affects others. They have therapy to work on empathy. Ask his dr or research counselors that may offer that for people with Aspergers.

Sorry you're having a hard time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tfmom3
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Thanks for the wordsof encouragement. We are in therapy now. It's just such a slow road. I've made it 17 years with him, now just need to survive the last one. Doesn't seem like it should be that hard but some days I don't know how I'll make it til he's 18. Do you have an AS child or other special needs kid?

My 9 year old is ADHD. Some ways the same and other ways so different from his brother. Then there is my daughter, 15, right in the middle. She is the match, the boys are the kindling!

Hope all moms have a good day!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN