Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do you handle Christmas and divorce?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:06 PM
  • 27 Replies
If the dad is still in the picture, do you have a holiday time together? Do you alternate holidays so you only have your kid/s every other Christmas? How do you handle the kid/s gifts? Is it a joint effort or do you just each do your own thing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM
No holiday time together
Alternate holidays
We each get our own gifts for the kids... and those gifts generally stay at that parent's home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sj218
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM
How old we're your kids when you started this plan? This will my first Christmas as a single mom and my son just turned 9. How do you manage on the years you don't get to spend the holiday with your kid/s?

Quoting conniejo75:

No holiday time together

Alternate holidays

We each get our own gifts for the kids... and those gifts generally stay at that parent's home.

SweetlilM
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:15 PM
No time together. He has them on Christmas eve until bedtime then they come back to me for Christmas. He buys gifts for his house and I buy gifts for mine.
cshepard
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM
My ex gets the kids when Christmas break starts and brings them home early Christmas morning. It's worked out great for us. His family does their thing at his moms Christmas Eve, they always have. He's 100% ok with this too. It was actually his suggestion.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Kids were 3 months and 18 months when we split... they are now 16 & 17... been doing it for so long it's all we have known really. The yrs I don't have them I plan our own Christmas when they get home.

Quoting Sj218:

How old we're your kids when you started this plan? This will my first Christmas as a single mom and my son just turned 9. How do you manage on the years you don't get to spend the holiday with your kid/s?

Quoting conniejo75:

No holiday time together

Alternate holidays

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Dec. 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM
This. We are divorced.

Quoting conniejo75:

No holiday time together

Alternate holidays

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ldeuling
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

This works out perfect for us, although on Christmas morning I'm a bit sad...I have them the weeks before Christmas.  Christmas Eve morning is our "Christmas"...when we open our presents.  Then they have all day with their gifts.  Then at night, in the evening we go to my mom and dad's house and they have a Christmas Eve party, where we have all the food and open presents there.  Then later at night (as late as I can get them) the boys go up to their dad's house and stay the night and have Christmas on Christmas morning.  We all keep our own gifts at our own house.  We do not have anything together.

KayLundy3
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Well this year I'm sucking it up and pretending I like the bastard and all is well so our kids can have a happy family Christmas...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Never really got it.  He did.  If he didn't he was always taking me to court.

Zacknalexmom
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Were divorced and it's court ordered my ex gets no visitation with our kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)