Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Whats the true definition of a single mom?

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM
  • 28 Replies

Hi guys sorry for asking such a foolish question. But i wanted to know you all's oppinion on the definition of a single mom.

It was brought to my attention when I recently asked a friend and they said I wasn't truly a single mom because I lived at home with my parents. I do everything for my kids on my own, not even help from welfare, the only thing I receive help with is the 1hr after school my parents watch my kids until I get home from work. Other than that they are strictly with me and being taken care of by me. There father is curently serving a 10yr prison sentence at a federal prison, and even before that he wasn't much help. His mother at one point was sending me $50.00 a month to help out on their father's behalf but he cut that off as soon as he found out I had been seeing someone. Like that $50.00 made a difference anyway. Just a little history on everything for you all to see where I'm coming from.

Thanks

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM
4 moms liked this
single is a martial status.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diamonddiva8904
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM
In my book you are def a single mom...the fact that you live with your parents doesn't change that. You make your own money and provide what your children need....even if you live with your parents for the rest of your life (which I don't really recommend lol) you will still be a single mom
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Raegan on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Are you married? Do you have children? If you're not married and have children, then you are a single Mom in my book. I am divorced from my son's father for six years now. I have always felt I was a single Mom even though my son does receive child support. I have been in a relationship for three years however we do not live together. Once we're married, then I won't be a single Mom.

SnapIt
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM
A mom who is not married to me is a single mom
She can have a bf or fiance but until she says i do, shes single
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I think we all have different ideas on the definition of a single mom.  In my opinion it's a mom who is not married or living with a partner.  Doesn't matter if you live with family or a roommate.  

In my opinion, you ARE a single mom.

Quoting Mommy2KeyNJay:

Hi guys sorry for asking such a foolish question. But i wanted to know you all's oppinion on the definition of a single mom.

It was brought to my attention when I recently asked a friend and they said I wasn't truly a single mom because I lived at home with my parents. I do everything for my kids on my own, not even help from welfare, the only thing I receive help with is the 1hr after school my parents watch my kids until I get home from work. Other than that they are strictly with me and being taken care of by me. There father is curently serving a 10yr prison sentence at a federal prison, and even before that he wasn't much help. His mother at one point was sending me $50.00 a month to help out on their father's behalf but he cut that off as soon as he found out I had been seeing someone. Like that $50.00 made a difference anyway. Just a little history on everything for you all to see where I'm coming from.

Thanks

brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi and welcome to the group.

The definition of a single mother is:

1) Divorced

2) Widoowed

3) Never  been married

Anything that says you are raising your child alone without the help of the man who had sex with you to bringing the child into the world.  (Just because you are recieving C/S doesn't say you are not single).  It is taking care of a child 7/24 with the necessities to llive on.

Mommy2KeyNJay
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Thanks Ladies! And no I'm not married and have never been.
madiesmom89
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM
I am in almost the same situation. I live in the same house with my parents, though I pay rent, I have "childcare" through them when I'm at work, and other then that it's all on me. DD's "donor" left when I was about 8 weeks preg. So yes I do concider you a single mom!
strngenough
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I don't know about the married thing. If you are two moms and in the wrong state you can't be married.

To me a single mom means your doing it on your own or you and the dad aren't together. If you have been with the babies dad for years, live together, share bills etc, and do everything a married couple do why is that single? But, I'd count military spouses as single parents when the other is deployed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM
I think its when you are not romantically involved with the father of your children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)