Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Whats the true definition of a single mom?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi guys sorry for asking such a foolish question. But i wanted to know you all's oppinion on the definition of a single mom.

It was brought to my attention when I recently asked a friend and they said I wasn't truly a single mom because I lived at home with my parents. I do everything for my kids on my own, not even help from welfare, the only thing I receive help with is the 1hr after school my parents watch my kids until I get home from work. Other than that they are strictly with me and being taken care of by me. There father is curently serving a 10yr prison sentence at a federal prison, and even before that he wasn't much help. His mother at one point was sending me $50.00 a month to help out on their father's behalf but he cut that off as soon as he found out I had been seeing someone. Like that $50.00 made a difference anyway. Just a little history on everything for you all to see where I'm coming from.

Thanks

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Replies (21-28):
witchybabymomma
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think there is "one" definition. I think there are different types, for example I worked with a girl whose sons dad took him for weekend visits and sometimes for a day during the week and also paid his child support, then there are those who may not get financial support from the dads but have family who pay for pretty much everything and have friends and such that the kids occasionally go to on weekends, then there are those who get little or no financial support and like you always have their kids unless at work or school. I don't think there is "one" accurate definition I mean they are all single moms in a way.

PS I only think your marital status is marginally involved I mean if your married and seperated to me your still a "single" mom. JMO

BeachMommy07
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Quoting happymommy1105:

single is a martial status.

KRIZZ25
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM
NO PERSON CAN NOT DO IT ALONE..HAVING FAMILY IS A MUST.. AND NO DADDY IS A REQUIREMENT.
Mommy2KeyNJay
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Thanks u all for helping me with this one. I was beginning to feel like a fool when I was told that I. Wasn't a single mom. So there's definitely more than one definition and there are all types of single moms. It all depends on who ur asking :-) and everyone has their own opinnion.
PNK2012
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

a woman that is left by her childs father to raise the child on her own is a single mom. You are single mom in my book. If you need encouragement and advice I am here for you just as the other moms. I had my first son at 15 stayed with his dad until he was two years of age. I had my second child at 32 married his father divorced him. I had my third child at 36 years of age stayed with her father for 4 years we separated Aug 2012.. We met in the Cayman Islands where we decided to relocate to the US we would have to do 1 year a part until he was able to come to the US. Couple months ago he didced he needed time and could not manage the long distance relatioship. Instead of being honest and up front that he had become involved with someone. He has claims he wants us back and for me to be understanding and patient. I am not sure that I want to be in a relationship with him any more. I am still trying to heal myself. He is the only childrens father that I 100% committed to and gave my heart and soul to have a family and he let me down.  I have always been a superwoman but as I have gotten older I have realized that i dont want to do this on my own but i will not subject myself my children to betrayal lies disappointment just to say i have someone. I am currently leaving with my mom whom i do not have a good relationship with, I have decided i need a fresh start and a change, I am planning to relocate to Florida for one the weather i do not like the cold, i need to regain my independence, and most of all a fresh start on life. I am scared to death going to a new city with no family with two young ones but I know God will be my guidance and I will trust in him. So from one single mom to another hold strong.                                                                      

smbc1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:17 AM
I think there are varying levels of single motherhood. Some have built in nannies that help, some have significant othrs. some have child support, some have community support, some have nothing. We all want validation for how hard our life is. And we all want more support. But of course the single mom who has no built-in childcare and no child support has it rough. If you have no support then it's even rougher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
plainjane55
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

As long as one remains unmarried and has children, they will always be defined as a single parent in my book. I have a child from a previous relationship, dad gives up seeing him, I don't go after him for support. I have a live in boyfriend now with a new baby we have and I still consider myself a single parent because of my older child and that I will never marry.

kary1124
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM
i agree with this!

Quoting Stephd710:

I think its when you are not romantically involved with the father of your children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)