Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Need advise about my youngest son

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, I have been a single mom for about 2 years now.  It is me, and my two sons ages 6 and 4 year old who will be 5 in Dec.  My question is about my youngest son.  His behavior has really gotten worse in the last few months.  In Aug we moved from Texas to Maryland so I could be closer to my family, so I am not sure if he is just still adjusting to the move or something else.  Anyway, he is very defiant with me and ignores any request that I ask him to do.  I try time outs and taking away privilages but this does not seem to work.  When I try to give him an option like "do you want to pick up your mess or go to time out" he will choose time out.  He would rather be in trouble then clean up or do what is asked of him.  His daycare provider says he does well with her, so I guess it is just me or when I am around he will act up.  I put him in sports a few weeks ago and at every practice he does not listen to the coach purposely, he will walk around the room and not particiate.  When I tell him he is not going to get to play any more he says "okay"  Then the other night he would not go to sleep he kept waking up every hour on the hour and screaming crying refusing to go to sleep.  I just don't know what else to do or try.  I am very worried because he will start school next year and I am afraid he is going to really act up in school.  I am also getting very tired and stressed.  I work full time and I'm the only one that takes care of them and have little help.  My family still lives 2 hours away, and I go see them some weekends but I still grow very tired.  Any help or advise would be great!  Thanks! 

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tyfry7496
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM
He's still adjusting. Maybe taking him to a counselor will help the adjustment process.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Ask your local school board about early intervention programs and testing to ensure he doesn't have a behavior disorder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Maybe try play therapy so he can learn how to express his anger my friends son has been in it and its done wonders
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM

This, but I do think he's still adjusting.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Ask your local school board about early intervention programs and testing to ensure he doesn't have a behavior disorder.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM
This....good luck!!!

Quoting LifeCafe42:

Maybe try play therapy so he can learn how to express his anger my friends son has been in it and its done wonders
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HopesNDreams
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM
I would seek an Early Intervention evaluation. Do not ask them to look for anything specific, like a behavior disorder, because that may limit what they test for. Instead, describe his symptoms and let them decide from there.

When giving choices, give two that are constructive, like 'do you want to pick up blocks or cars first?' Offering him a task or time out is the same thing as offering him a break - I'd choose a time out over housework any day! Praise each and every item he picks up at first. Also, please remember that not all four year olds are mature enough - or interested! - in organized sports. Many wander around instead if listening to the coach. The extra organized activity while he us adjusting to day care may be too much for him as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN