Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Am I over reacting or what?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM
  • 18 Replies
My son came home yesterday from a weekend visit with his dad with what appeared to be just a swollen lip. However on close examination not only did he have a swollen lip but also had a cut along the inside of his lip ( it was all red and bruised).  Also the area of flesh where the lip and gum meet was lacerated and his top teeth appeared to be injured. According to his dad he was swing on a bike rack and slipped and fell. (This is what he told me when he dropped him off). Well four hours before he was supposed to return, his dad called and asked if he could keep him until Monday, said he would take him to school. ( I said no drop him off at his regular drop off time, 6 pm.) Never once did he mention the accident. I was informed of the accident about thirty minutes before he was to drop him off ( he called because he was running late). When I saw my son all I could think was what happened to you? 
Well today I took my son to the doctor to have him checked out. I was told why I didn't bring him in sooner. Had to explain that the injury occured while he was with his dad. After a trip to his dr and the ER, no stitches needed, no fracture to upper jaw but three loose teeth that will have to be looked at by his dentist tomorrow ( they are his baby teeth!) I'm hoping there is no serious damage to his teeth or to nerve endings. 
I called his dad today and asked him why didn't he take him to the er or at least call his doctor and see what he thought. He told me I was over reacting. These things happen to little boys and that I'm just trying to make him look like he's a bad dad. I know kids have accidents and get hurt. I'm upset that he didn't tell me about it sooner. He's lip was 3x it's size and bruised! ( it's still swollen! ) In the past he has taken our son to the ER for less serious things so I don't understand why he didn't take him this time or at least call his doctor. It's not like we don't have insurance. 
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Kids fall and get bumps and bruises... it can be hard to know when a bump is just an owie vs something more. My niece had a broken elbow for two days before my SIL took her to a Dr.... they had thought it was just a sprain. Of course she felt awful after x-ray done but sometimes parents can't tell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaHens3
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Kids are rough when they play, as AP said its hard to tell. Unless their crying bloody murder, bleeding like crazy it's a hmm at times. I know I have taken my three older kids to the ER, or urgent care maybe three times in their lives. An their 9, 7 and 5. One was for a fore head gash, that happened when older of the kids pushed my youngest at 4. The other was an ear infection, and she was crying having this child with this pain not that type to just cry like that. An the other was a broken arm, and most other bumps they shake off. 

Good to have checked it out, since those baby teeth need looking at maybe. Same time, if their not bothered by it having it shaken off. We figure their ok. 

tyfry7496
by Janet on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:51 AM
3 moms liked this
You did the right thing! Good job Mom. I bet there's more to the story than Dad is telling, why else would he not tell you? He asked to keep him longer to make sure the swelling went down and to hide the fact your son was hurt.

Hope you son feels better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Kids have accidents all the time and its not always easy to know whats serious and whats not, especially for men, who dont always pay attention. Id be upset with him, but youve told him about it and thats all you can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriahearts
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Wow, I hope your son isn't in too much pain because of it, I do agree that boys will be boys, I have one son and I have been in more situation then I care to say but like you said it isn't the fact that it happen, it's the fact that he didn't do anything about it, that he didn't even bothering telling. That would have pissed me off so badly, so no you aren't overreacting that he didn't address the problem and tell you.

Christie825
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, over reacting. I'd never take DD or DS to the ER for a fat lip

jssjar
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Its easy for people to assume for you to overreact, your a mother it's natural. I feel like it would've been the RESPONSIBLE thing to do was to notify you as soon as it happened.

MsLogansMommy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is your son? Can you ask him what happened? Did it look like he was in pain? if he just had a fat lip and wasnt in obvious pain that i would not have gone to the ER

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

if you think it was an accident and not abuse then calm down. boys do get in these types of accidents. my son ran and took a bike pedal to the nose and got stitches. i didnt trip because he is rowdy.

if you get all up in arms over this id be afraid to tell you too. tell him next time to let you know and seek medical attenmtion and that you wont come unglued.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM

oh and btw my kid would ahve to be bleeding profusely or dying for me to go to the ER, i hate that place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)