Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Has a Teacher Ever Forgotten Your Child?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 4 Replies

Teacher Puts Kindergartner in Small, Dark Room & Goes Home for the Day

Posted by Jeanne Sager

dark classroomForgetfulness. It happens to the best of us, doesn't it? Now imagine it's a teacher who has forgotten that she banished a kindergartner to a small, dark room? And by forgetting, I mean the teacher actually left for the day, leaving him to be found, alone and scared, by his parents who ran to the school when their little boy didn't clamber off the bus at his stop.

Would you be livid? Me too. And so are the parents of 5-year-old Tanner Cagle, who say their son was essentially locked in a closet by a teacher and left to wet his pants and cry in the dark.

I can forgive human forgetfulness. But I can't forgive a teacher for forgetting a student in the dark and leaving for the day.

I'm not even sure I can forgive her for putting him in a dark room to begin with. Although, to be fair, the room Tanner was placed in is considered a tutoring room, not some dark broom closet. It is a place for kids, and there are benefits to time-out when disciplining kids. Sometimes simply being removed from the situation makes all the difference.

That said, it's a teacher's responsibility to account for the whereabouts of her kids. Every. Single. Kid.

This applies to any particular moment of the day but is especially crucial at day's end. We want to know our kids are getting on the right buses or going home with the right adult. We want to know that our kids are actually GOING HOME!

We trust our children's teachers to know where they are because they're in charge, the responsible adults who act as our stand-ins during the school day when we aren't there to watch them. Forgetting a kid, even for a few minutes, is unacceptable. Forgetting one in a dark room and leaving for the day? That should bring some serious discipline down on this teacher's shoulders. What if something terrible had happened to this child -- beyond the trauma he already suffered of course?

Has a teacher ever forgotten your child? What happened?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tyfry7496
by Janet on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Never and in. 20 years of child care I have not.

Why was the child put in a dark room to begin with? That's not even legal in my state. I'd be calling to have her fired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM

OMG how aweful!!!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM
I saw this on fb and I didn't even want to read it how horrible!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thank goodness, NO!  I'd be furious if I was a parent of the child in the article.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)