Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Christmas Gifts: Mommy vs Santa

I need some advice on what to do. I am a low income single mom with no help from my daughters father. Bills are piling up and I dnt have much money for Christmas. How do I get presents for her from both Santa and I with it still looking like there is a fair amount of stuff under the tree. She is 5 yrs old so it is still a big deal for her.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
victoriahearts
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

If you have a dollar store near you this would be a huge help to you, I usually go there to pick up stocking stuffer for all my nieces, nephews and son. Maybe you can put together a little gift basket for her for under ten dollars one from Santa another from you.  I love the things I can find there, plus my son who is also 5 yo, gets more out of getting crayons and coloring books then anything else , oh and those 1 dollar cars at Stop and Shop. As a matter of fact I think the only toys my son has actually played with from last years xmas gifts are only his cars.

OctoberCutie07
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I didn't even think about going to the dollar store. There is one in walking distance from my job. My daughter loves coloring and any kind of arts and crafts stuff. She has 2 huge plastic drawers full. One thing that Santa is bringing her is some new playdough. She loves that stuff. I will have to go check out the dollar store tomorrow! Thank you for the idea!!

reindeergames
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM

My friend says she always finds those gift baskets (they usually price them a bit cheaper) then she dismantles it & wraps things individually for her girls (she has three). So maybe one with coloring books etc in it? 

Dollar Tree has fantastic wrapping paper for cheap get a roll for your gifts & a roll for Santa's so what 2-3 rolls for $2-$3. As far as gift tags you got paper, markers & ribbion/yarn? Can you write in cursive? Cut out tags ourself, write her name in pretty letters, punch hole in corner of tag, tie a ribbion/string through it & tape/tie onto package. 

Family Dollar is awesome! The ones we have around here are great with a great selection for cheap. For example I got my daughter long socks a 6pk for like $5 .... it's something needed & they are cute/cool designs. 

Payless Shoes has cute flats that you can get with sparkles etc. She could wear them to school or as dress up, we have a pair of ruby red ones my daughter LOVES them wears them to go grocery shopping or to dress up at home we are just careful about not going into the mud or anything with them. 

Do you have a Kmart near you? They have a great selection of toys, generic names like tea sets that are cute for $5, boxes full of stickers for $3, etc. Walmart of course has a great $5 DVD selection & so does Target. Of course Target has a great dollar zone, Walmarts dollar zone sucks. Wet & Wild has a great nail polish that is quick drying, color selection is great etc for like $3 (the cheap polishes honestly are not worth your $1 it'll just peel off). 

I grabbed some great stocking stuffers at Family Dollar the other day a McQueen red light/green light card game, grow your own crystal kids ($1 or maybe $1.50), sponges in those capsules that you put in the bath & they grow, etc. 

Little bottles of lotion, Bath & Body works has sanitizers in mini bottles for like $1 they are colorful have pictures on them they'll have holiday ones & smell very kidish. We got a bunch from Halloween & my daughter LOVES them they have ghosts etc on them. 

What do you have around you for stores? Maybe I can come up with examples for you with stores specifically close to you. 

reindeergames
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Speaking of Playdoh & dollar store make sure to check out the kitchen area of the store. Playdoh supplies are expensive so look for cute spatulas, measuring cups, etc & whatever you pick out can be used not only for Playdoh but if she wants to pretend cook as well. If you find a mini muffin pan, bread pan, teaspoon set, things like that get them for her, they'll be her own to have & play with as she pleases & her size. 

Also get her some wooden things so she can paint them. Walmart also usually has cute wooden things like trains, cars, etc that she can paint them play with afterwards. 

Also look for wall decals as well, usually Dollar Tree has adorable cute wall decals she can use to decorate her bedroom with. 

Okay this may sound like a joke but it's not, swing down the dog aisle. My daughter loves dog toys, now granted the ones that squeek are beyond annoying but for example the other day I allowed her to pick otu something at the store. She got an ice cream cone in teh dog aisle, no joke, $1 & she pretends shes serving icecream to me, or she is eating it or serving it to her stuffed animals. Also does your daughter have a stuffed dog she likes? If not can you buy her a stuffed dog as well? Then get a couple dog toys to go along with the new doggie so she can play with her doggie. 

Quoting OctoberCutie07:

I didn't even think about going to the dollar store. There is one in walking distance from my job. My daughter loves coloring and any kind of arts and crafts stuff. She has 2 huge plastic drawers full. One thing that Santa is bringing her is some new playdough. She loves that stuff. I will have to go check out the dollar store tomorrow! Thank you for the idea!!

reindeergames
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter (4yo) & I love to make chocolate covered spoons. So simple, melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 1 tbls shorting in the microwave, keep an eye & stir doing like 30/60 seconds at a time. Place some spoons (pretzels/whatever) on wax paper, then either dip them in the chocolate or drizzle the chocolate over them. For spoons we use them in hot chocolate to stir it & make it extra yummy. This year we are also going to do oreos, stick a coffee stirer in the oreo & cover in chocolate =) you can also crush up m&m's, nuts, whatever & toss them onto the chocolate. 

Quoting OctoberCutie07:

The thing that she likes the most is books. There is a consignment shop close to where I work that sells them for $0.25 a piece and so I usually get her a few from there and wrap them seperately. We also make cookies and candies from reciepes that my mom gave me together in our matching aprons on Cristmas Eve. We go to the candlelight service at our church as well. I think this year we are going to go out to eat at the place of her choosing. When she asked me what I wanted for Christmas I just told her that I wanted for her to have a good time and that would make me happy. She knows about the reason that we have Christmas and enjoys going into town t look at the Nativity in the park.

OctoberCutie07
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Those are all great ideas! My daughter loves being in the kitchen so the untensils would do double duty. I never even thought about that. I feel alot better about Christmas now that I have gotten all the feedback from everyone!  The food idea is a great one too!!  I really appreciate it!!

Zacknalexmom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Quoting josiahmom:

I dont have much money. I get one gift from me and go to the places that give you gifts and get more and say santa brought them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OctoberCutie07
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Quoting reindeergames:

My friend says she always finds those gift baskets (they usually price them a bit cheaper) then she dismantles it & wraps things individually for her girls (she has three). So maybe one with coloring books etc in it? 

Dollar Tree has fantastic wrapping paper for cheap get a roll for your gifts & a roll for Santa's so what 2-3 rolls for $2-$3. As far as gift tags you got paper, markers & ribbion/yarn? Can you write in cursive? Cut out tags ourself, write her name in pretty letters, punch hole in corner of tag, tie a ribbion/string through it & tape/tie onto package. 

Family Dollar is awesome! The ones we have around here are great with a great selection for cheap. For example I got my daughter long socks a 6pk for like $5 .... it's something needed & they are cute/cool designs. 

Payless Shoes has cute flats that you can get with sparkles etc. She could wear them to school or as dress up, we have a pair of ruby red ones my daughter LOVES them wears them to go grocery shopping or to dress up at home we are just careful about not going into the mud or anything with them. 

Do you have a Kmart near you? They have a great selection of toys, generic names like tea sets that are cute for $5, boxes full of stickers for $3, etc. Walmart of course has a great $5 DVD selection & so does Target. Of course Target has a great dollar zone, Walmarts dollar zone sucks. Wet & Wild has a great nail polish that is quick drying, color selection is great etc for like $3 (the cheap polishes honestly are not worth your $1 it'll just peel off). 

I grabbed some great stocking stuffers at Family Dollar the other day a McQueen red light/green light card game, grow your own crystal kids ($1 or maybe $1.50), sponges in those capsules that you put in the bath & they grow, etc. 

Little bottles of lotion, Bath & Body works has sanitizers in mini bottles for like $1 they are colorful have pictures on them they'll have holiday ones & smell very kidish. We got a bunch from Halloween & my daughter LOVES them they have ghosts etc on them. 

What do you have around you for stores? Maybe I can come up with examples for you with stores specifically close to you. 

I live in a very small  city. Wal-mart and kmart are about 45 mins away. I have a dollar store about a 5 minute walk from my job. Other the that its the drug store.Thank you for your help!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Welcome!!! Dollar stores have some cool stuff or the dollar bins at target or Walmart. Santa will get the big thing and a toy the rest from me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reindeergames
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:33 AM

No problem, I'm constantly looking around for deals as well! There is also a Frugal group here on cafemom I LOVE that group. 

Have you also joined swagbucks? If not do it! I don't get on as often as I like to but I racked up $40 for amazon this year just by doing searches or trying to do surveys. It's too late this year but for next year or her birthday you can rack up the extra cash to use for gifts!

www.swagbucks.com/refer/mels30248

Use that link if you want or not, either way, playing around on swagbucks through the year pays off, I rarely go on there honestly myself but every so often stumble onto it to try some survey's or do some searching. Most survey's you are disqualified for but when you hit one it's a good build up of points that lead to cash!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)