Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How to start a schedule and activites to keep baby busy?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 5 Replies

Im stay at home with my 6 month old daughter all day. We live in New York so its getting colder now and its not always the best weather to take her outside, but when it is i try to put her in the stroller and walk around the block for 20 minutes or so. Im starting to feel like a bad parent because often times to get things done around the house, i stick her in front of the tv and thats not what i wanted.

I want her to learn and play and not need the tv. Im starting online school and i would love to get her on a schedule, but she has a mind of her own. Shes very attached to me and if i go out of her sight for a second she has a heart attack.

What can i do that i can have her be around the house with me and not stuck in front of the tv and get her to be okay with me not always being there? What do you all suggest i do to keep her busy or activities so shes not watching tv (games, books, etc.)?

I know someone will suggest putting her in a baby carrier.. 1. shes 22 lbs.. & 2. i have an inflamed hip and a lot of back pain from carrying her pre and post pregnancy. Yes im seeing a chiropractor to get help for it, but im still in the early stages of recovery. Some days, like yesterday it was so bad to where i couldnt stand for longer than a minute or two.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
armyvet06
by Ashley on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Get her age appropriate toys and let her play on the floor of whatever room you are in. Maybe get her some board books or wooden puzzles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aahudson
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

My little girl is a little like that to. She dosen't like it when I leave the room, has to follow me and do whatever I'm doing. And she can't just play with a toy alone she wants you to sit in the floor and play with her. More power to you if you find a solution. I spend all my time in the floor playing with her or sitting on down and she brings me things she wants to do with me. She does love music and she will stop whatever she is doing to sit a listen to it or dance. Sometimes giving her things that I use like an old pocket book, a nakelace, an old phone with the battery removed will work. She loves to use the broom but she wants that to be a team activity she sweeps a little then hands it to me to sweep and we go back and forth. Sometimes I hide the broom haha. 

victoriahearts
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I would suggest the same , get her toys that she can play with on the floor, also play music for her you may find she enjoys it, also if you can find story telling disc, these are great because the story teller will usually change there voices which makes it fun for babies and kids to listen to and they sometime broke out into song. But also try to find time to do play peek a boo with her, read her a book, maybe do some baby exercise with her, moving her legs up and down, tickling her tummy, moving her arms clockwise, thigns like that. I know it's hard I live in NYC so once it gets cold and i'm in for the day I'm very unmotivated to go out.

0124ax
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I bought so many age appropriate toys for my twin girls and they always went for the adult devices, remote, cell phone, etc..

All I can advice is to give her 6month old food to munch on. For example i think they can have soft fruits in the little sack that u can buy at walmart, target, it holds fruit in thier so basicall they can suck the juice out..and its safe from the seeds, etc...

Usually if my girls are not satisfied with thier meal they will be uncomfortable and cranky.. also try a bouncer

Back pain? Me too! and now that the weather is much colder it got worse! Is the chiropractor working?

xoxo

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Welcome to the group.  What about having her in a little exersaucer type thing next to you while you're studying.  That way you can reach over and play with her, talk to her, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN