Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Entertaining an only child

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

I need advice from you single moms with only one child, particulary a boy that would be between the ages of 8-10.  I am having a huge problem with him not being able to keep himself entertained and he claims he is bored all the time.  He wants to go somewhere.  His biggest complaint is he wants kids to play with, which I can understand because I am an only child.  It is becoming very frustrating.  I give him things to do but he is not satisified.  HIs dad is not in the picture unless I make the move to get my son to him.  It has been 2 years since his father and I have not been together and I am really trying to make a new life for us.  I am finding it to be very difficult to get into routines and new traditions.  I am still sort of struggling with letting go and starting new so how in the world can I get my son out of old habits and look beyond how it use to be??

I work full time so I am very tired when I get home and when possible on the weekends I want to relax.  I know that being a mom is a sacrifice and I need to have time with my son.  How do you ladies balance it out??

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriahearts
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I'm a mother of a 5 yo boy  and a PR manager so saying I work full time is probably the biggest understandment I can make. But some how I mustard up the enegry, to do things with him, when I get home from work, generally between 6 pm and 7 pm, we will do homework together, play one game ( zingo, bingo, monopoly jr, or uno) this way he has something to do, then it's our bedtime routine during the week and he is bed by 8 pm. Giving me time to relax or do more work to be honest. The other thing is that I have always taugh my son to be independent so although he like spending time with me , he has also learned to play alone, I have bought him leap frog pen and books, so he read without me when I'm busy, he also has workbooks that he will do to practice his writing skills, counting so on. Maybe you can do something like this for him, play a nightly game with him so he knows he has  set time with you, buy him activities like books and things that improve his skills at his age level. My son and I also do yoga together on the Saturday morning and he is part of an basketball team on Sunday morning, two hours where I can read a book or even just drop him off and go home to sleep a little more. There is also a ton of low cost groups you can involve him, does his school have after-school programs? This way he gets to hang out with kids and you get some time for yourself

strngenough
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Get him enrolled in an after school program. They have big brother big sister, YMCA, after school martial arts. They will sometimes pick the kids up from school and then you get them later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I agree, do they have any activities or mentoring programs in your area you could check into?

Quoting strngenough:

Get him enrolled in an after school program. They have big brother big sister, YMCA, after school martial arts. They will sometimes pick the kids up from school and then you get them later.

steviechick
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Quoting strngenough:

When I was married my ex and I worked full-time, so both of us weren't home until after 5:30.  We enrolled our DD in an after school program during the the school year when she was 8-10 yrs old.  We had a neighbor that was a SAHM and she had a daughter the same age.  So, during the summer time my DD stayed with them until I got home.  My DD was also involved with a horse so another summer she was dropped off at the barn and stayed there all day.  She worked and rode her horse.  She stayed busy all day.  I had to get creative when both me and my ex worked full-time. 

Good idea on the extra cirricular ideas.   Single kids need stimuli when they don't have siblings to hang out with, too.

strngenough
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM
The horse thing sounds great. I only plan on having one, so I'll be needing these ideas too.

Quoting steviechick:

Quoting strngenough:

When I was married my ex and I worked full-time, so both of us weren't home until after 5:30.  We enrolled our DD in an after school program during the the school year when she was 8-10 yrs old.  We had a neighbor that was a SAHM and she had a daughter the same age.  So, during the summer time my DD stayed with them until I got home.  My DD was also involved with a horse so another summer she was dropped off at the barn and stayed there all day.  She worked and rode her horse.  She stayed busy all day.  I had to get creative when both me and my ex worked full-time. 

Good idea on the extra cirricular ideas.   Single kids need stimuli when they don't have siblings to hang out with, too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myhappyplace
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Thanks ladies these are all really helpful ideas.  I need to check on the after school programs.  I wanted to get him in cub scouts and I have thought about the big brothers/sisters program as well.  I think I just need to get myself more together and organized into consistent routines and actually stick with them.  My son has a personally like his father which tends to clash with mine so sometimes when we have time its not as enjoyable as I would like.  But we do have good times.

I really appreciate all your responses :)

Robsessed98
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM
When mine were that age either she had a friend over or she went to their house most every day. We also had kids in the neighborhood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
When my son was that age, I had him in baseball and he had a mentor/Big Brother. I rarely entertained my son, I couldn't. I worked Fulltime and went to school, he had to learn to entertain himself. I also had him outside playing with kids in the neighborhood. There are so many things he could do. After school care, sports, martial arts, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

wow I feel like I wrote this post cause this is exactly how I feel except I have a girl. thanks for posting and I totally understand what you mean my dd is so much like her dad and sometimes it is hard to deal with she has a very hyper in your face kind of personality where I am more calm and I can literally sit in a comfy chair and read and not even move where she is fidgeting constantly (that could be age but her dad never grew out of it lol) I hope you find stuff that works for you

Quoting myhappyplace:

Thanks ladies these are all really helpful ideas.  I need to check on the after school programs.  I wanted to get him in cub scouts and I have thought about the big brothers/sisters program as well.  I think I just need to get myself more together and organized into consistent routines and actually stick with them.  My son has a personally like his father which tends to clash with mine so sometimes when we have time its not as enjoyable as I would like.  But we do have good times.

I really appreciate all your responses :)

Mocking.Jay
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Ahhh, son's only 5. I sit his ass near Legos and he's fine, lmao.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN