Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Entertaining an only child

Posted by   + Show Post

I need advice from you single moms with only one child, particulary a boy that would be between the ages of 8-10.  I am having a huge problem with him not being able to keep himself entertained and he claims he is bored all the time.  He wants to go somewhere.  His biggest complaint is he wants kids to play with, which I can understand because I am an only child.  It is becoming very frustrating.  I give him things to do but he is not satisified.  HIs dad is not in the picture unless I make the move to get my son to him.  It has been 2 years since his father and I have not been together and I am really trying to make a new life for us.  I am finding it to be very difficult to get into routines and new traditions.  I am still sort of struggling with letting go and starting new so how in the world can I get my son out of old habits and look beyond how it use to be??

I work full time so I am very tired when I get home and when possible on the weekends I want to relax.  I know that being a mom is a sacrifice and I need to have time with my son.  How do you ladies balance it out??

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Replies (11-15):
myhappyplace
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:58 AM
1 mom liked this

That's really funny you said her dad never grew out of it lol.  My son's dad never did either.  His dad was always one that had to be on the go to other people's houses.  He never wanted to stay home.  He use to take my son with him a lot so he has that in his system that I am going to have to get out of him lol.  I too am one who is comfortable with staying at home and watching movies and relaxing.  Thanks for your response!

VADIVA23
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Do your son like sports if he do You can always put him in sports threw his school .I have a 4 year old and she seems bored as well she is getting out the tv stage and she cant start school because of her birthday so Im planning to enroll her into daycare so she can be around other children. Im so scared to let her be anywhere without me because its so many sick people in the world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM
My 7 yr old son is great about entertaining himself. He has computer educational games he plays and he watches tv. He's really into Avengers right now so one of the Disney channels has several cartoons of Avengers so he records those and watches them over and over and loves it.

He's very creative and draws and colors a lot.

We do play board games and read together. He's in 1st grade and reads on a 4th grade level now.

What interests him?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jenn31
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM

My 9 yr old dd is in a lot of activities. And there is always homework and reading to do. If she says she is bored, I will make her start washing windows. So she knows better. Find an activity that he likes, maybe an individual sport or musical instrument, or harry potter books. That will keep him busy.

myhappyplace
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Yes I know what you mean about there being sick people in this world.  It can be very scarry to trust other people to the care of our children in this day and age.  We unfortanately cannot be with them 24/7, so when you do enroll her, just say a little prayer for her protection.  Kids have a way of letting us know if something is not right. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN