Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I kinda let it happen and i dont feel bad!

Posted by   + Show Post
My girls are on Medicaid and have been since they were born (i work full time and have my own private ins). In the divorce it states my ex must provide insurance for them. He hasn't needed to because we always qualified for Medicaid. Well it was time for renewal and they sent me the forms. I got my papers together and filled them out. I told ex at least three times I needed his and for him to sign the application. He kept saying ok, ok, ok. The last time I reminded him I told him it would be the last and that I'm not his mother or gf and he needed to be responsible and if it got cancelled, it would be his fault. Well the date has passed to turn it in. Doesn't make a difference to me if they have Medicaid or not. I can afford deductibles from regular insurance but I know ex will struggle. I don't really feel bad for letting it cancel. I know he's gonna freak out tho!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Replies (11-18):
koalasami
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM

In our state you have to use the private insurance (from his job) as a primary and the medicaid card will only pick up what is left. 

Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Not here. It's reversed.

Quoting koalasami:

In our state you have to use the private insurance (from his job) as a primary and the medicaid card will only pick up what is left. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
koalasami
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I just always find these differences interesting.  The state is not going to pay anymore than they have to here so medicaid is considered secondary so the primary will pay the bulk of it.  We have had it in the past so I didn't have to pay copays - because he NEVER pays them.  I don't think he has taken her to the doctor or dentist once in 14 years...

Quoting Stephd710:

Not here. It's reversed.

Quoting koalasami:

Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM
At most of the Dr offices here they will let me set it up to where I'm billed for half and he's billed for half, that way nobody has to pay anyone back.

Quoting koalasami:

I just always find these differences interesting.  The state is not going to pay anymore than they have to here so medicaid is considered secondary so the primary will pay the bulk of it.  We have had it in the past so I didn't have to pay copays - because he NEVER pays them.  I don't think he has taken her to the doctor or dentist once in 14 years...

Quoting Stephd710:

Not here. It's reversed.

Quoting koalasami:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM

ahhh okay, misunderstood, got it :) yeah paying 1/2 of that shit adds up. This year has been about $1500 and that is getting samples all the time for my son's regular meds.

Quoting Stephd710:

No they are covered under his work insurance. We just weren't using it while they still had Medicaid. The only difference is now we will have to pay a copay at the Dr and pharmacy. Not that big of deal to me, but it will be for him.

Quoting PaperClip811:

except... now the kids arent covered if something happens? I know technically my CO says if he fails to carry insurance he is 100% responsible for their medical care, but pharmacies and Dr. offices dont care about CO.. they need the money or you dont get the care/medications.

I know what you mean though. That's how my ex has been with changing my son's last name.. he wanted it changed so bad, but it's been 4 years now and he hasnt gotten his shit together enough to actually make the change.. i refuse to do it for him. And now my son is old enough, he knows his name and doesnt want to change it so Im not going to make him use the new name if BD ever gets around to changing it.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
In my state child support requires the non custodial parent to carry insurance & if he or she doesn't then the support is higher. I am on PA for health care for the kids & they have their dad's insurance as well. Whatever his insurance does not pay for PA does. We have no office visit co-pay. And thankfully have not had any out of pocket expenses for our DD who broke her foot 2 weeks ago.

I agree with PPs.... if he failed to sign the papers in time then it's his fault & he should have to pay the price.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Yeah I can see how it would. My girls are pretty healthy luckily. I hardly ever take them to the Dr unless its something I can't treat at home. Drs are always a last resort for me.

Quoting PaperClip811:

ahhh okay, misunderstood, got it :) yeah paying 1/2 of that shit adds up. This year has been about $1500 and that is getting samples all the time for my son's regular meds.

Quoting Stephd710:

No they are covered under his work insurance. We just weren't using it while they still had Medicaid. The only difference is now we will have to pay a copay at the Dr and pharmacy. Not that big of deal to me, but it will be for him.

Quoting PaperClip811:

except... now the kids arent covered if something happens? I know technically my CO says if he fails to carry insurance he is 100% responsible for their medical care, but pharmacies and Dr. offices dont care about CO.. they need the money or you dont get the care/medications.

I know what you mean though. That's how my ex has been with changing my son's last name.. he wanted it changed so bad, but it's been 4 years now and he hasnt gotten his shit together enough to actually make the change.. i refuse to do it for him. And now my son is old enough, he knows his name and doesnt want to change it so Im not going to make him use the new name if BD ever gets around to changing it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM
In my divorce decree I carry the insurance and get Medicaid for them. My ex has our children almost every day on top of eow. So his cs isn't what guidelines say. He also pays for daycare and DS preschool tuition. So for right now he pays a lowered amount of cs. A joint decision. Next fall it will increase since DS will be in kindergarten.

Good job OP on letting it lapse. Sounds like he needs a wake call about it.

Quoting CampClan:

In my state child support requires the non custodial parent to carry insurance & if he or she doesn't then the support is higher. I am on PA for health care for the kids & they have their dad's insurance as well. Whatever his insurance does not pay for PA does. We have no office visit co-pay. And thankfully have not had any out of pocket expenses for our DD who broke her foot 2 weeks ago.

I agree with PPs.... if he failed to sign the papers in time then it's his fault & he should have to pay the price.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)