Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I want more!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have been friends with this guy for a long time. We went to middle & high school together, but lost touch after graduation. We got back in touch 4 years ago, we're now in our early 30's. We are best friends. I can talk about anything with him, and he with me. I'm the one he called when his dad passed away, and I went with him to the nursing home to help collect his things. We've been in a few fights, as best friends sometimes do, and always end up friends in the end.  We've been on vacations together, shared hotel rooms, and always have a great time.

He's never been married, no long-term girlfriend ever, and no kids. I am divorced (have been for five years now) and have a daughter whom he loves - and she loves him, too. The three of us do a lot of things together.

He and I have never done anything intimate or sexual. I've hinted... and got no where. About 2 years ago, I flat out asked him if he was attracted to me that way and his answer was 'no." That made it awkard for me, so our friendship took a break for about a year. But we're back to being great friends and he said he missed me when stopped hanging out.

He moved to Texas almost a year ago for work and I miss him so much. We talk on the phone everyday and text constantly. He's coming home to see family over Christmas break. I'm the one picking him up from the airport, and when he came home before (over the summer), he spent most of his time with my daughter and me instead of his family.

I try to keep my feelings under control, but the truth is that I love him. We have SO much in common, laugh together, cry together and always have a great time. How do I get out of the friend zone?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM
If he doesn't feel the same way I'm not sure how to make that transition. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deeds99
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

we have some mututal friends and they claim he DOES like me in that way, but won't admit it.  Ugh.

Robsessed98
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM
If hes not interested in you that way, you wont get out of the friend zone. You either need to sit down and tell him how you feel and be prepared for what youll do if hes still not interested, or just let things happen naturally if theyre going to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strngenough
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Odd question....is he possibly gay? No long term relationship, no marriage, can talk to you about anything always....just a thought. But if he's not interested in making it something more its a bad idea to push it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I agree with this as well. Good luck!

Quoting Robsessed98:

If hes not interested in you that way, you wont get out of the friend zone. You either need to sit down and tell him how you feel and be prepared for what youll do if hes still not interested, or just let things happen naturally if theyre going to.

victoriahearts
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM

The thing is that it takes two to get out of that zone, and if he said yes two years ago and hasn't brought it up it's save to assume he has not changed his mind. I know it's hard because things are so great with him and they may even seem perfect but pushing him into someone where he isn't comfortable or "making moves" on him you may lose him completely.

steviechick
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

When he's just not that into you it's hard.  I wouldn't say anything to him since you don't really know.  It's all hearsay from your friend.  Just let things go the way they will naturally.   Perhaps you can only be just friends.  That's still a good thing.

Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Be grateful that you have a good male companion in you and your daughter's lives. If it is meant to be more it will happen, but don't risk the beautiful and warm relationship you do have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)