Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

$$$ Savings Before Baby

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hello all! Would any single moms by choice who
do not receive child support share a rough estimate of how much money you saved before baby's arrival. How much you think is a comfortable amount? Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mz23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I tried to get child support but have since given up. I saved had saved like 3000 tho
Janine501
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Thank you!
Janine501
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Thank you!
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I haven't saved anything.  I should start though.  

INTEGRITYspeaks
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I've never received any child support from my sons father. I don't think I started saving money before my son's arrival - whatever amount I had in my account was all I had. I don't depend on a child support system because all the stories I've heard about those who have to deal with it leaves the hurting child in the middle of two grown adults arguing about what "seems fair." The truth is, nothing is fair!! The baby(ies) are the ones who suffer because they do not get the full benefit of two parents (even if there is a legal separation between the parents) who are suppose to show love and support regardless of whatever the situation is. There is no comfortable amount because once you have to support someone else other than yourself, the amount varies! If you have the money to do more and to save more, then do just that. 

aj23
by Amanda on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM
At bare minimum 6 months income is ideal, a comfortable amount would be a equal to a years income or more.

I had about $2000 saved before I had my son and it was gone in 3 months because all off the little things that were needed that I didn't have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilAsMom526
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM
I started my son a savings account after be was born. I was doing $100 a month or more if i wanted to or i did a dollar a day too.
Janine501
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the great input!
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Depends on where you live and how much bills rent daycare etc are.  Remember when you do go back to work that daycares usually require a deposit which can be a week to 2 weeks of care.  My disability didn't cover as much as i had hoped so i had to go back to work sooner than i had hoped.

Janine501
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM
True...thank you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)