Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

job advice

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM
  • 13 Replies

hello !

i am in the process of getting divorced and need to look for a job. i have two kids, ages  5 & 7. up until having kids, i always worked, but never had a career path. i have not worked for 7 years, and don't know where to start. i would love to have a job that has a flexible schedule. does anyone have any genious ideas or advice for me ?

thank you,

angie

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Welcome to the group!

I think you're just going to have to get out there and hope that you find a job that fits your needs.  Maybe put your resume out on linkedin.com, etc.

Janine501
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Hi Angie - I am not a mom yet but have enjoyed a lucrative and flexible career as a freelance copywriter. Writers, graphic designer, proofreaders are all in high demand in NYC.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LauraMH
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Is that something that can be done online or do you have to be in NYC?

Quoting Janine501:

Hi Angie - I am not a mom yet but have enjoyed a lucrative and flexible career as a freelance copywriter. Writers, graphic designer, proofreaders are all in high demand in NYC.

Janine501
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Hi Laura!
It's generally done at a company- writers like these are needed in virtually every industry- banking, retail companies, hospitals, non-profits, rtc. You would need a BA and a good grasp of writing, grammar, spelling. There are positions off-site though they tend to be few and far between. Where exactly are you geographically?
PNK2012
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM

you rock Hi Angie,

Pop in to your local work force agency/unemployment every state have one. You can do basic computer training classes plus a variety of other classes they even sometime find you assistance to pay for the classes that have tuition. They will or should assign you a counselor that will help you to find work and set you on a career path based on what you enjoy doing or what your skill sets you have or have developed. I am not sure where you live but if you private message I can research and send you some information pertaining to your are if that ok all the best. Alos regards to your children to you have good support to help with them your son is 7 so he is in first or second you need a good after school program (here in MD we have Open Door its 76.25 a week it has before and after care) or you can find care that will keep your 5 year old full day and your 7 year old in before and after care. Also if you need help with paying for childcare you can check with your local department of social services for day car vouchers. Hopefully its not too much info, again all the best.

PNK2012

Robsessed98
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Welcome to the group. Just get out there and apply anywhere youd be interested in working at. Job hunting hasnt changed in 7 years - still a nervewrecking pain in the ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie816
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM

thank you for your response !

angie816
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:04 AM

thank you, i plan on doing that, but the jobs i have had are all accross the board, so i can't really put an objective on my resume. 

angie816
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM

thank you, i will look into finding my local agency

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM
Your objective can be vague- "seeking a position that will allow me to use my organizational skills as well as to provide flexibility in obtaining new skills" That's sort of hokey but hopefully you get my point.

Quoting angie816:

thank you, i plan on doing that, but the jobs i have had are all accross the board, so i can't really put an objective on my resume. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)