Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Kids with fathers in prison

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi, I am looking for any opinions about dealing with a parent who is in prison and how to handle it with my son.

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM

My ex is out now but I never took kids to see him. They just knew he was away. First time DS was only 2 and DD was newborn. 2nd time he was on work release so they saw him every weekend.

tenyearsapart82
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Thanks for the comment. My son's father was locked up before he was even born and is in another state so he knows nothing about his dad. He won't be released until my son is around 14 or 15 and he's only 3 now. I know he will soon be asking about his dad and I really don't know what to tell him. I worry about how he'll handle it as he gets older.

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM

It is a hard situation and you need to think about what is best for your child. I never wanted my kids to know but their father told them. They don't really ask questions now that he is out. I wouldn't bring it up but if he asks, I would just tell him that his dad is away and isn't able to see him. When he gets older you can explain that when an adult does something wrong sometimes they go to jail. His father did something wrong and is in jail but hopefully will learn from his experience and follow the rules from now on. You do not need to tell him what his father did (unless you want to). I wouldn't worry to much about it at that age. But if he starts asking, just give small amounts of info.

Quoting tenyearsapart82:

Thanks for the comment. My son's father was locked up before he was even born and is in another state so he knows nothing about his dad. He won't be released until my son is around 14 or 15 and he's only 3 now. I know he will soon be asking about his dad and I really don't know what to tell him. I worry about how he'll handle it as he gets older.

tenyearsapart82
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I appreciate hearing that from someone who has been there. Lots of people who don't know what it is like give their advice but it doesn't always mean much. I like your suggestion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)