Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

what does kids dad pay for

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM
  • 45 Replies

I have been struggling with this along time since we have no signed arrangement I don't know what should really be happening. I get child support and health insurance money for my son but I am wondering those of you single moms that have shared custody so to speak, or visitation with the dad what does he pay for or is your arrangement with him as far as dr bills, dentist, eye dr and expences, and rx ?

Do you do 50/50 on all expenses with the kid, or you pay some things and he pay cerain things or bills?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleSw
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

nadda.... bump

LauraMH
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

My ex pays nothing. He is supposed to pay CS and 50% medical but he hasn't paid a dime of CS and only pays a little towards medical when it suits him. He doesn't buy clothes, school supplies, hair cuts, shoes, nothing.

SpurgeonMom
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Right now he pays for theirs and my medical insurance that's all right now because out of our relationship i'm the one that made most the money so when he kicked us out he is really struggling on his own. We are filing for divorce soon and according to child support calculators he's going to be paying $750/mnth i'm looking forward to that day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pattya925
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM
3 moms liked this

When we were divorcing, we sat down and drafted a parenting agreement that is part of our divorce decree.  Doing that meant that our son would not get "stuck in the middle" and we could avoid having to iron those things out in court.  In it, it states that his father will maintain him on medical, dental, and vision insurance (2 years he paid me the premiums because mine was cheaper to have him on) and I pay the associated deductibles/copays.  We have no "set" visitation schedule per se - the form says "to be determined by both parties" and we both want him to have good relationships with both of us.  He resides with me, but can see his dad as often as he would like and scheduling allows.  We also decided on the CS amount - he pitched out a number, I pitched one out.. they were $100 apart so we split the difference.  He does ok with CS; occasionally falls a few months behind, but tries to stay caught up.  We also at that point delegated who would pay for preschool - no longer an issue since he is in public school.  I tend to pay any class tuitions, parties, etc, with exDH helping out here and there, but that's not really a designated expense.  We do need to sit down to revise it now that DS is 10; he was almost 3 when the form was signed so some things have changed and that needs to be reflected.

PoonPuncher
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Everything he has to pay for is outlined in our Child Support file. He has to pay X amount of dollars a month for child support and also 50/50 on all medical bills.

The Child Support is based on both of our incomes, meaning they took my income and his income into consideration and calculated his percentage to pay based on that...

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Zilch!!!!!!!!! He is supposed to according to the divorce decree pay child support and 50% of medical , dental, eye care...nadda... I incurred a $1200 bill and have yet to receive one dime towards any of that and to top that off my daughter plays clarinet in the band this year, additional expenses of middle school I get no financial help with.

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM
He pays nothing. According to our parenting plan he is supposed to maintain insurance on my son, $350 in CS, and 50% of any other healthcare costs as well as 50% of all extracurriculars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
richsinglemomma
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Whatever CS he's ordered to pay, insurance (medical and dental). Some people get it, others don't. Just depends on the health of the post-relationship...

Samantha Gregory
A veteran single mom - Ask me anything

Mommyandme878
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

My sons father is very good about paying and we decided he would pay for all doctors bills and anything our son needs (diapers, food, and clothing). Of course I pay for his things too, because as we all need children need a lot. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM

For the most part we do 50/50 on school, sports, and medical expenses.  We alternate weeks on paying daycare, alternate times of putting $50 in his school lunch account, and normally split all sports & medical costs 50/50, although I usually pay upfront for it and sometimes have to wait several months to get paid back his part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)