Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Christmas Gifts from "Grandma"

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

My mother passed away in May. By the time all is said and done and her estate in order, each of us six kids will inherit quite a bit of money (I've already received a partial sum of $11,000 at the begining of the month). While I tend to use some of my money for much-needed home improvements before I sell my house next summer, I am thinking of using some of the money to buy each of my girls an iPod Touch for Christmas. 

My girls have gone without so many things since their dad died because I simply could not afford it.  I have four daughters, and last month, I had to borrow money from my brother just to get us through Thanksgiving (I even stood in line at a local church for donated food.). 

We dont have an X-Box, Guitar Hero, or anything like that (heck, we don't even have a flat screen TV, and we only have one TV at that). They do have a Wii, but they only have two games for it (the original one that came with it and the first Wii Dance). They have sacrificed so much over the years that I am wanting now to do something special for them. They've all expressed interest in an iPod Touch.  Would it be wrong to use some of my inheritance to make the girls' Christmas extra special this year?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaptainCookie
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Not at all. I think its great that you want to do something extra special for them. I'm sure they will love them. :)

cutestmom24
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM
go for it mama.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
victoriahearts
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Not at all, I think it will be a wonderful idea to do so. 

SusanArlene
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Thank you for the validation. Believe it or not, my own siblings are telling me I need to make the girls "earn" the iPods. This, coming from two sisters whose kids get everything they want and often flasht their high-tech and latest and greatest at my kids.  Okay . . . Ima gonna do this! 

grneyedormom
by Kendra on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Absolutely not! Go for it, and while you're at it , get something for you that you would not normally get yourself either. One word for the wise , make sure the taxes are paid accordingly on the inheritance. I have a friend who was misinformed on an inheritance she received and had to pay back a ton of money she could not afford after the fact.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Whatever you want to do, is right by you.  However, I'd say pay back your brother for some of what you are doing, if there was no written contract stating you didn't need to.

SusanArlene
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Quoting brieri:

Whatever you want to do, is right by you.  However, I'd say pay back your brother for some of what you are doing, if there was no written contract stating you didn't need to.

I already paid him back, in full.

SusanArlene
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Quoting grneyedormom:

Absolutely not! Go for it, and while you're at it , get something for you that you would not normally get yourself either. One word for the wise , make sure the taxes are paid accordingly on the inheritance. I have a friend who was misinformed on an inheritance she received and had to pay back a ton of money she could not afford after the fact.

My five sibs and I have already looked into this, but thank you for the warning. There are too many greedy people out there. My mom did her homework. She even had masking tapes on the backs of her items with us kids' names on them so we knew what item we inherited. For example, my name was on the back of her curio cabinet; therefore, I received that item, no questions asked and no one could contest it, either.  In fact, the estate planner was actually impressed that we all get along so well and that we were able to divy up Mom's belongings without an all-out war. 

EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

What a great idea! Just make sure that they are old enough to care of it!

KRIZZ25
we always talk about "bad moms"what about "bad dads" ?
Yesterday at 1:57 PM
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM
go for it...u deserve to get ur kids something good..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)