Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Picking a name when you and the father don't agree.

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM
  • 27 Replies

I'm about 15 weeks pregnant, and recently seperated from the father of my child.  He's still very much in the picture though. We still hang out, and he will be at every doctors appointment and everything else, which I am thankful for. Recently I made the decision to keep my baby, because for awhile I was contemplating abortion. We're both really happy about the decision :)  Anyway, we can't seem to agree on names to save our lives.  We're pretty sure it's a boy, because everyone in his family has had boys. Every name I like, he hates, and every name he likes, I hate.  I'm finding it really hard to compromise, and so is he.  Has anyone else had this problem? Who ended up making the decisino?   

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I know I'm not great at picking boy names, so I left it for my ex to decide.  I'm glad I did, made things much easier for me and him.  

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM
I picked the first name and Bf picked the middle name for our son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EyansMom143
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM
With our first we didn't know what we were having, and only agreed on boys names but not girls. Thankfully I had a boy!

However, I am pregnant again and he is still sticking to the girl name he wanted (if baby is even a girl. .still too soon.) He wants Aaliyah, and I have a neice named Aaliyah so I just don't want it. Hopefully we can come to an agreement, maybe even have another boy. Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kels1023
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I asked him if I could pick the first name, and he cuold pick the middle name but he isn't going for it. SO frustrating. 

kels1023
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Aaliyah is the name I want for a girl :) which he agreed on, but I have a gut feeling its a boy. And he really wants the name Marcus, or Anthony. And I really like Aiden, and Mason. both of which he hates. Maybe I'll get lucky and I'll have a girl so we can stop arguing about it lol

Quoting EyansMom143:

With our first we didn't know what we were having, and only agreed on boys names but not girls. Thankfully I had a boy!

However, I am pregnant again and he is still sticking to the girl name he wanted (if baby is even a girl. .still too soon.) He wants Aaliyah, and I have a neice named Aaliyah so I just don't want it. Hopefully we can come to an agreement, maybe even have another boy. Good luck!!

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Our son didn't have a name until I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant. We couldn't agree on anything. He originally came up with Anthony and I hated it. But after talking with some girls I worked with I decided it was ok as long as no one called him Tony. So I guess he picked the name. If it was up to me I would have changed it but i can't imagine now not having an Anthony.

With our DD we went through the baby name book separately and wrote down what we liked then compared our lists. The only name on both was Coryn (we changed the spelling of the traditional Corinne). So that was her name. I think that you guys will be able to eventually come up with something that you both like.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM

My son was named after my dad and his dads dad so we were in agreement about a boys name, lol however if it was a girl we were in trouble because we could not agree on a name!  Good luck on figuring out a name!

steviechick
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

When I found out we were having a girl my ex said the most cruel thing to me "Well, you got what you wanted".  I cried all the way home from the ultra sound. 

He wanted to name our DD Samantha Brittany.  I wanted Lauren Breanne.  We kept the middle name I chose and I went with my second favorite name - Jennifer. 

My ex now has the son he's always wanted.  However, his son was born out of wedlock even before I knew of his affair.  He's 53.  Not a great age to start having children - again.

EyansMom143
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Yea that would be difficult. I mean I like the name, but it's just because I have a neice with that name already. we both agreed on Alyssa, but he wants it as a middle name lol. Boys name are coming. Our first is Eyan normally spelled (Ian.)

Quoting kels1023:

Aaliyah is the name I want for a girl :) which he agreed on, but I have a gut feeling its a boy. And he really wants the name Marcus, or Anthony. And I really like Aiden, and Mason. both of which he hates. Maybe I'll get lucky and I'll have a girl so we can stop arguing about it lol

Quoting EyansMom143:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Pick a name you like, let him pick a name you like his will be middle name, your's first name.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)