Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College! Not enough hours in the day! PLEASE HELP

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM
  • 9 Replies

So I work on the house, take care of my son and go to school full time. ALL at the SAME TIME!! I fell that there are just not enough hours in the day!!

My son is on a schedual, and my cleaning is on a general schedual. I need to figure out how to get myself on a schedual.

Also I am really worried about my son. That I am not all up on him like ususal and that he has to play by himself/ watch tv etc. :C Sometimes when I am not doing either I am just too tired to be very active with him :C 

I know I can do this. I just have not figured out how yet.

Anyone else have any tips or tricks!? If you have done this, are doing this. PLEASE HELP ME!

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM
You just do what u can. I work 50 hours a week outside the home, come home and start dinner while doing chores. After I work on school work. Major housework is done on Saturdays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I feel like it would be a lot better for us if I did school outside of the house, or if he went to day care. Its the both of us staying at home, and I am ALWAYS busy thing that seems to be an issue. Or I fear is an issue. Plus i get CABIN fever sometiems

I want to quit school sometimes and get a job so that way I can get out of the house. But I dont think that is a good choice for us. I am not really sure though. UG 

Any ideas on how to manage time better? Because right now we "doing what we can" and it isnt working :C

mz23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this

maybe you'd prefer going to an actual class. I'm kinda in the same bout. I was working but my job gives me like no hours anymore, my Dr is in head start but I keep her home a lot lol, and this semester I took oonline classes. I prefer actual classes, because although I love my daughter to death I'm dying to be around ppl my age plus I always forget to do my online classes. I don't even have a schedule with my dd really so can't really offer any advice. how old is your son and what are you going to school for?

EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Quoting mz23:

maybe you'd prefer going to an actual class. I'm kinda in the same bout. I was working but my job gives me like no hours anymore, my Dr is in head start but I keep her home a lot lol, and this semester I took oonline classes. I prefer actual classes, because although I love my daughter to death I'm dying to be around ppl my age plus I always forget to do my online classes. I don't even have a schedule with my dd really so can't really offer any advice. how old is your son and what are you going to school for?

I fell so guilty! I love my son I really do. But i think that it is that I just dont want to be around him 24/7! If it was JUST taking care of him then it would be fine. But it is taking care of him and remodling my fathers second home, and school. I hate feeling that I treat my son like a chore sometimes. Like hey you are actually ok, even if you may want to hang out with me, right now you got moved down and retiling the bathroom got bumped up. :C 

My son is 18 basically 19 months old. I got to school for my AAS in GIS. Once my AAS is finished I will be going to regular classes. The other thing is that Yes its great to save money by going to school and watching my son at the same time.... it isnt always feasable! I sometimes NEED some study time,.. you know,... alone! 

Bryntayk16
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:19 AM
2 moms liked this
My sons 5 mos old. And from 2 wks after I had him I work 30/40hrs a week and 2 classes and 1 online class (3 total) and I give the cleaning a shrugged shoulder. Things in my house are sanitary - no dirty dishes and living room and bathroom clean - my clothes are everywhere though. Sometimes I'll pick them up when he takes a nap. When I work I wok like 7-2 so he goes to the babysitter and I'll pick him up maybe at 4 for example. So that's 2 hours that I can either do homework or speed clean. And at some point hell take a small nap where I run and do what I need to. It's hard but I don't stick to a set schedule bc if I did I'd be stressing out when it doesn't go the way it's supposed to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bryntayk16
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM
1 mom liked this
And by "run and do whatever I need to do" I mean like within the house - hurry and clean or whatever. It kinda sounded like I leave him. And I dont. Woops!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Saphira1207
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I did this for sooo many years. (Only I did it while working and raising 2 kids.)

The first, and most important, thing to do is figure out your priorities.

Ask yourself why your trying to do all this.  Then figure out what's most important and why.  Then let everything else go.

Why are you going to school? How will it help you and your child?

Why are  you remodeling someone elses house? Is it unlivable as is? Can the remodel wait? Are you being paid to help with it? If so, is it enough to help with bills? Is the physical activity helping ease your stress levels? (<------ That question is especially important!)

Housework - Are you trying to keep it in magazine shape? Are you having trouble keeping the basics in order (ie: clean clothes, no rotting food anywhere, large blobs of anything off the floors, things that can put the baby in danger are as our of the way as realistically possible, etc )? Is anyone helping you with it - including your child?  This may be an area where you have to accept the "imperfect" lived in look rather than the more socially demanded magazine look.

Homework -  Answering the first question - Why are you doing this? - will help you figure out where school falls on the priority scale.  If it's anything less than  - oh, I'd say 3 out of 10 - then you probably shouldn't be bothering with it right now.  It isn't really a priority and if it's not a true priority then you're wasting your money.  It's better to put it down for a bit and go back later than kill yourself for lousy grades.   I met lots of adult returning students who'd had to do that a couple of times over their college career just because sometimes life gets in the way of schoolwork.  That's why it takes so much longer for parents to go to school than people with out kids.  And that's ok.  It's better to do well over a longer time period than to royally suck in the short term!

And lastly - Figure out what kind of person you want to raise, make rules to make it happen and then live by those rules yourself.  How does this help with "scheduling" things?  It makes it easier to know when to worry about something and when to let go.  If the issue/situation doesn't mess with the ultimate goal (raising the kind of person you identified as your goal) then it doesn't really matter enough to get worked up over.  Let. It. Go.   And that will help ease some stress, which will make everything else seem a little easier, too.

Scheduling -  The best way to make "scheduling" things work is to not shedule them in stone.  Make a list of daily priorities instead.  Separate it into things that must be done and things you want to try to get done but which can rollover into tomorrow with no problem or guilt.

Today's list could be :

Keep my child fed, in one piece and mostly happy.

Teach him to share and some manners (possible at this age, but don't expect perfection) as the opportunity arises in very short bursts.

Spend "X" number of hours studying (never say when theses hours will happen. It may be in several smaller amounts of time throughout the day. so long as they add up to "X" number of hours it's all good)

Prep (____)  for the next part of the remodel.

Keep dirty dishes low enough to avoid going past the top of the sink.

Whatever you do don't make it longer than 10 items. More than that and you're into 'stress and anxiety ville' because there's absolutely no way to get it all done in a day.

And if it's getting out of the house you want - either get family/friends/hire a sitter to stay with the baby and go out or join an exercise class that allows kids.  Or go for a daily walk with the little one,  or do an exercise video with him.  There's lots of way to get out of the house. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I work full time (around 45 hours plus 1.5 hours total communte each day) and go to school (anywhere between 7-10 credits/2-3 classes).  So I can understand how you feel.  As soon as I get home from work I make supper for my son and myself and then spend time with him until its his bedtime.  I do light cleaning thru the week and then do the whole house cleaning on the weekend (varies which day depending on what we have going on).  My homework I do after my son goes to bed for the night for anywhere between 2-3 hours. I usually get to bed around 11-11:30 and am back up at 5:30 to do it all over again.  Once you get yourself on a schedule it does help, but its all about finding what works for you and your family.  Good luck!

EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM

In exchange for remoddling the house my son and I get to life here rent free. So,.. yeah its important

I think you are totally right! I want my house to be magazine pretty. I dont know why. I guess I feel that it shows I am a good mom etc etc. I could def let up some on the house work, like you said, having a mag perfect house is NOT important.

THank you soo much for this post. Going to school is very important for me, one it pays our bills and two it is the only thing from keeping me from getting work in my field. 

OH THANK YOU this is amazing 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)