Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

child support question

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM
  • 29 Replies
On tuesday ill be having my daughter. Now the things is her father wants a dna. K no big deal. So do I put him on the birth card? how do I go about getting child support? how long does the process usually take?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM
It's up to you whether you put him in the birth certificate. If you are not 100% sure he's the dad then I wouldn't.

As far child support, go down to your county's courthouse and ask for a child support form. Fill it out and give it back to them. There will be a small fee. CS can take anywhere from a few weeks to months to be put on place. It really depends on your county and how willing the dad is to cooperate. Some states will do a DNA test if the dad is not on the birth certificate before they make him pay.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
allycat2120
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Oh I know hes the father. But if I go though cps do I get back pay from the time I failed? Sorry for all the question
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM
It depends on the county and your personal situation. Some people get back child support and some don't. It's kind of hit and miss. Typically it starts from the time the court order is put in place and not the date you filed, however, some people ask for back child support and get it.

Quoting allycat2120:

Oh I know hes the father. But if I go though cps do I get back pay from the time I failed? Sorry for all the question

Musiq_Junkie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM
In some states (like here in NM) theyll make the non custodial parent pay the filing fee, dna fee, etc once the test comes back positive & youve already gone 2 court & stuff.

Quoting allycat2120:

allycat2120
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Oh k. He doesnt really want this baby to get out. Im 26 and he is 52
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Quoting allycat2120:

:(  That sounds like me.  I was 23 when I had my son, and his father was 55.  Things happen. 

That is hurtful that he is asking you to establish paternity, if you know it is his! 

In my case, I decided not to put him on the birth certificate or file for child support, etc.  Once you establish paternity and file, many men will then eventually seek visitation (whereas if you left them alone, they wouldn't bother). 

If he truly doesn't want to be a father, you might be better off without him, especially at his age.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Good luck!

PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with Allycat. CS can make men do things they wouldn't otherwise do.

I agreed to let DD's dad pay $50 per month out of the court until he became stable. He never paid it and he rarely came around. When he became stable (real career) I filed for support. Next thing I knew the man that couldn't lift a finger for five years was filing for full custody and harassing my family in many unpleasant ways. Money makes people go crazy.
allycat2120
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Your right but he the one wanting to help out just doesnt want it to get out

Quoting Ridingsolo:

Quoting allycat2120:

:(  That sounds like me.  I was 23 when I had my son, and his father was 55.  Things happen. 

That is hurtful that he is asking you to establish paternity, if you know it is his! 

In my case, I decided not to put him on the birth certificate or file for child support, etc.  Once you establish paternity and file, many men will then eventually seek visitation (whereas if you left them alone, they wouldn't bother). 

If he truly doesn't want to be a father, you might be better off without him, especially at his age.  Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allycat2120
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM
He doesnt want her unless im around

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

I agree with Allycat. CS can make men do things they wouldn't otherwise do.

I agreed to let DD's dad pay $50 per month out of the court until he became stable. He never paid it and he rarely came around. When he became stable (real career) I filed for support. Next thing I knew the man that couldn't lift a finger for five years was filing for full custody and harassing my family in many unpleasant ways. Money makes people go crazy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Do you mean come out, like be born?  Or he doesn't want people to know? 

Quoting allycat2120:

Your right but he the one wanting to help out just doesnt want it to get out

Quoting Ridingsolo:

Quoting allycat2120:

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)