Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Need Advice

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter is 18 months old and she's going through what I call a hitting and kicking phase.  I do tell her  not to hit or kick i tell her gentle hands and after that she'll give me a hug.  She throws fit which is normal for toddlers to do but my best friend who has a 3 year old said that she talked to her grandpa and he said its best for her son not to come around my child cause he starts acting out...how do i help my child get out of the phase of hitting and kicking when she doesnt get what she wants.

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommywithtwo23
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Time out always is good. it is hard but you need to teach her it isn't right to hit or kick. and that is the best way.

happymommy1105
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:09 PM
time out.

she is a toddler though and she is gonna act up. totally normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM

HAHAHA we have LOTS of talks about using our "gentle hands" around our home. For us it is the older boys trying to teach my monkey that he is a boy (cuz having a penis doesnt make him one I guess :D ) 

We use a lot of time outs and RE-DIRECTS! I try to get right up in the mix and it tends to help the play time go smoothly

akmom2011
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM

thank you ladies for your advice i'm definitely gonna try time outs more and re-directing...you ladies are wonderful

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Just keep re-inforcing the gentle hands and show her what you mean. She's in the hitting and kicking stage.... It's normal. Give her warnings though... "If you do that again, you're going to sit in time out for 1 minute and not be able to play with your toys, okay?" and follow through! She's under 2 so more than 2 minutes at her age is too long for time out. But you would need to be close by when she's in time out. She'll try to get up. If she tries, start that minute over and explain to her "you got up, we're starting over!"

akmom2011
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM

thank you so much i'm definitely gonna have to sit with her when she gets put in time out cause she definitely gets up

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

My son doesn't do time out so well so he sits on my lap and we count backwards from 60.  if he's not calm we do it again.  After I ask where his nice hands, good ears, nice feet etc.  He shows me and we say we are nice to our friends.  He gets 3 strikes and we leave the situation.  Every kid is different this is what has worked consistantly.  good luck!

Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM

DS went through the hitting thing. Not much worked, but one day- when he hit me, i cried... fake cried, but man- I would've won an acting award for it. lol anyways- it made him feel bad and he started to cry a bit. he didnt hit as much after that. (this was on top of the time outs, talks, redirection, taking the things away, etc)

akmom2011
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

ok thank you i'll try the fake cry thing too...you guys have been such a help to me thank you so much

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)