Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

child support payments for a car? need opinions

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM
  • 13 Replies

so my x moved over four hours from me and I am now shuttling my dd to him every other week. I currently am putting almost 700 miles on my car every week. my dear old camy is now on her last leg bc of this added mileage. I am going to school and using my loans to pay bills and rent. my dad is willing to put a nice down payment on a car but I would be responsible for the monthly payments. do u think it's wrong to use my child support to pay the $100 monthly installment. I get over $400 a month and usually use it for gas and food for dd. 

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Do you drive your daughter in the car? To/from visitations, school, daycare, doctors? I think you see my point... child support is used to support your daughter and her needs. In my opinion transportation is a need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I think using the money for a car is a great thing! Some women piddle the money away. Good for you! Get a reliable car for you and LO!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pattya925
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Makes sense to me... You need reliable transportation to safely transport her!

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM
3 moms liked this
No. You can use child support on whatever the hell you want. And why are you doing all the driving? He Should either meet you halfways or piick her up, then You retrieve her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM
I agree

Quoting conniejo75:

Do you drive your daughter in the car? To/from visitations, school, daycare, doctors? I think you see my point... child support is used to support your daughter and her needs. In my opinion transportation is a need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM

So do I!

Quoting LifeCafe42:

I agree

Quoting conniejo75:

Tigger0421
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I drive my dd all over the place, to and from daycare, dance practice, visitation etc. I asked my x to meet half way but he constantly claims that his car is always in the shop so I have to drive there and back. thanks for all it opinions!

sucker4myloves
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I am not part of this group and am no longer a single mother, and when I was I still never saw a dime of child support, so my opinion may be void, but I think it's absolutely right. You need a dependable vehicle not only to take her to see him, but also to take her to doctor appointments, go to the grocery to buy her food, etc. It's not as though you're buying a car she will never ride in, after all. Out of curiosity, why is it that he moves four hours away and you have to drive the extra way so she can see him? Seems like the court could do something about that, unless of course you're doing it out of the kindness of your heart for your daughter.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

you can have it court ordered or tell him no. it gets old. i started telling my kids dad that wed be waiting at the house then when i got sick of his excuses.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Honestly. I would have him pick up at start of visit and you pick up after (to bring home). That is how we split transportation. He knows you will do it all so he doesn't have to. If he really wants to see his daughter he will find a way. You can't let him make you feel guilty if you don't cover his ass.

Quoting Tigger0421:

I drive my dd all over the place, to and from daycare, dance practice, visitation etc. I asked my x to meet half way but he constantly claims that his car is always in the shop so I have to drive there and back. thanks for all it opinions!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN