Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Please help!!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM
  • 7 Replies

I want to first state that my son lives in a semi bi-lingual home. IE I speak French to him all of the time and he hears english everywhere else. 

I noticed that my son seemed a lil "slow" when it came to his words. ... He would just exclaime them out. i.e "MORE!"

I also noticed that he would get frustrated speaking french ( i think it is because i have a harder time understanding baby french vs baby english)

For what felt like nearly a month my son did not say ANY words... NONE! As a matter of fact hs even stopped making his noises. He would always have his mouth closed and just idk humm-grunt. (except when screaming)

Either monday or tuesday he finally said yeh-wo (yellow) I have noticed that his bable has picked back up too. BUT not his words.

He seems to be understanding a lot of what I am saying more now than ever. I asked him if he wants to go night night and he shakes his head no. He is answering yes and no (with his head) to a lot of my questions

Is anyone exp this? DOes anyone have any idea what this is? Is it all of the travel? My kid sister noticed it when we were on vaca. I think it started MAYBE a day or two prior. until just this mon-tuesday. the trip started 19 Nov 

He is 19 months and it happened over the period of about a month

What worries me is that he was doing fine then regressed and now seems to be picking things up again

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:49 AM

BUMP!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
My son didn't say 3 words until he was 15 mon when his vocabulary exploded now I can't get him to shut up lol. Keep doing what your doing that's awesome he will know 2 languages!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD said 'Um-bow" for football when she 18 months old.  She could barely pronounce words but tried to pronounce them.  I wouldn't be too worried about your son's progress at 19 months.  Just keep talking to him and pronounce both French and English to him clearly.  Let him watch how you do it.  Smile at him and let him know that you are pleased with whatever he says.  If he's not talking a lot perhaps he's trying to figure out what to say. 

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Most kids don't have a huge vocab at this age and often gesture and shake/nod their heads, don't worry too much unless his doctor seems concerned.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

My son didn't say 3 words until he was 15 mon when his vocabulary exploded now I can't get him to shut up lol. Keep doing what your doing that's awesome he will know 2 languages!

brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are really concerned contact your child's pedetrician and maybe he can give you a referral in the right direction.

EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I worry that they will just shake me off as being one of those "fussy" moms

Quoting brieri:

If you are really concerned contact your child's pedetrician and maybe he can give you a referral in the right direction.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Call anyways. 

Quoting EachNewBreath:

I worry that they will just shake me off as being one of those "fussy" moms

Quoting brieri:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN