Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child support question

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM
  • 25 Replies
Ok so I just got my papers in the mail yesterday and I was wondering how this works (I live in CA) I revive cash aid so I know th money goes back to the state but I've heard I get some of the money and how does it wrk when he files income tax...?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommywithtwo23
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

from utah. sorry no clue but here income taxes I don't pay any on what he gives me. and if it isn't current by dec 31 he doesn't get to claim my daughter for taxes. which is happening again this year. but if he gets any money for taxes it comes right to me if he is behind.

neveragain17
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Ok I'm just curious she's 13 months and I haven't received anything

Quoting Mommywithtwo23:

from utah. sorry no clue but here income taxes I don't pay any on what he gives me. and if it isn't current by dec 31 he doesn't get to claim my daughter for taxes. which is happening again this year. but if he gets any money for taxes it comes right to me if he is behind.

Mommywithtwo23
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM

From what I hear California doesn't put up with it. they will put his butt in jail really quick. my ex owe me over 15 thousand dollars. I understand. good luck

Quoting neveragain17:

Quoting Mommywithtwo23:

neveragain17
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Hmmm I guess it's just wait and see

Quoting Mommywithtwo23:

From what I hear California doesn't put up with it. they will put his butt in jail really quick. my ex owe me over 15 thousand dollars. I understand. good luck

Quoting neveragain17:

Quoting Mommywithtwo23:

PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had CA but what I understand from others is if your CS is more than your CA, then you will get the remainder of the CS after CA is deducted. So, you get $200 in CA and $300 in CS. So the state will take out $200 of the CS to pay for CA leaving you with $200 of CA and $100 of CS. Other states will just give you the CS if your CA is lower than the CS.

Does your CO cover taxes? If not, whomever LO lives with primarily gets to claim her. However, if the primary parent chooses not to claim her the other parent can. Paying CS has nothing do with taxes.

neveragain17
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Ok I have her 100% he has only seen her 2xs and I've been in school for the past 9 months so I let my mom claim her cause she buys her the majority of her stuff
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I am in CA... you get any amount over what you get in cash aid.. or 50.00 a month and state gets the rest to pay back the cash aid u rcvd. Also tax returns go to the state first to pay back any cash aid u rcvd not covered by the child support. If you get more child support than the cash aid they will stop the cash aid and you keep the child support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
neveragain17
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Oh ok that's good to know thanks girly :)

Quoting conniejo75:

I am in CA... you get any amount over what you get in cash aid.. or 50.00 a month and state gets the rest to pay back the cash aid u rcvd. Also tax returns go to the state first to pay back any cash aid u rcvd not covered by the child support. If you get more child support than the cash aid they will stop the cash aid and you keep the child support.
Misha1204
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM
When he files his taxes, you'll get whatever he owes in arrearages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soasabre99
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Is this true for all states?  My ex is behind over $2000 which I know is a lot compared to some moms but when I read this it gave me hope of getting some of the money in the coming months at least.

Quoting Misha1204:

When he files his taxes, you'll get whatever he owes in arrearages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN