Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do u balance being a mother and life

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM
  • 34 Replies
I gave birth to my first child 6 months ago ......... I returned to college to finish my senior year a couple months ago and have found that it's gotten a lot harder to balance homework, studying and projects....... I started looking for work too and I'm wondering if I'll be able to juggle work school and being a new mother....... I want to give my son the most attention that I can but I also need to get back on my feet and provide for him as a single mom..... Was just wondering how did you single mothers get through it, did you have a good support group, or programs that helped like family central and WIC....... How do u balance being a mom school, work and a personal life ????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Right now i live with my dad. I dont have a job but am currently a full time. What i do is i get as much projects and homework done as i can while she is awake and always in the room with me. I will usually give her a snack and a drink and she is happy. But most of it is all done when she goes to bed. Especially my studying so i can concentrate more. Maybe you could give it a shot. That way you still have your time witj the baby.
TinaCrystal
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Thanks you sound like you've found the balance..... I think mines is probably spoiled lol I think I need to get him better toys he can play with to distract his attention, he always wants to be held

Quoting armyvet06:

Right now i live with my dad. I dont have a job but am currently a full time. What i do is i get as much projects and homework done as i can while she is awake and always in the room with me. I will usually give her a snack and a drink and she is happy. But most of it is all done when she goes to bed. Especially my studying so i can concentrate more. Maybe you could give it a shot. That way you still have your time witj the baby.

VADIVA23
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I need to know the same thing I just focus on my daughter and sometimes my needs are last I will be starting school in January for paralegal studied so this month is her month so I have been doing things with her as much as I can to reassure her mommy loves you. My boyfriend and I have our weekend then its my daughter weekend its hard because I dont want my daughter to feel left out its not easy job but it has to be done my mama wasnt always thier so I try to be the parent to my daughter that she wasnt to me so Im looking for a job thats a 9_5 so I still can have time to spend with her its so hard I dont really get break when you become a mom alot changes and I have learn to accept that you have to understand that being a mom is real life you cant get off track. I had my daughter at 19 so I really didnt have a chance to grow up so basically Im growing up around her with being a mom first and not a friend .
armyvet06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Me and dd are still working out some kinks lol. She is 2 and likes to try and "help" mommy lol

Quoting TinaCrystal:

Thanks you sound like you've found the balance..... I think mines is probably spoiled lol I think I need to get him better toys he can play with to distract his attention, he always wants to be held

Quoting armyvet06:

raegan1221
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

You just take it day by day..easier said than done I know. But just take a deep breath and try not to overload yourself. Believe me, I understand. My son is 7 years old, I was in school full time and working full time...had a long distance boyfriend. I eventually had to quit school because the stress was hurting my health. It was too much. But since you're almost done, just take it day by day and if you have to take some time off or take longer than you'd like to to finish school there is no shame in that. Just take it day by day. Do what's right for your son and for you.

TinaCrystal
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
You're absolutely right thank you so much for your words :-)

Quoting raegan1221:

You just take it day by day..easier said than done I know. But just take a deep breath and try not to overload yourself. Believe me, I understand. My son is 7 years old, I was in school full time and working full time...had a long distance boyfriend. I eventually had to quit school because the stress was hurting my health. It was too much. But since you're almost done, just take it day by day and if you have to take some time off or take longer than you'd like to to finish school there is no shame in that. Just take it day by day. Do what's right for your son and for you.

TinaCrystal
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
You're doing the right thing , finding a good schedule for work is key when you're a parent, and I agree it's very important to give your child as much attention and love as possible especially when you've gone thru it with your mom...... I went thru it too with mines that's why I will always give my son love and affection it's so important

Quoting VADIVA23:

I need to know the same thing I just focus on my daughter and sometimes my needs are last I will be starting school in January for paralegal studied so this month is her month so I have been doing things with her as much as I can to reassure her mommy loves you. My boyfriend and I have our weekend then its my daughter weekend its hard because I dont want my daughter to feel left out its not easy job but it has to be done my mama wasnt always thier so I try to be the parent to my daughter that she wasnt to me so Im looking for a job thats a 9_5 so I still can have time to spend with her its so hard I dont really get break when you become a mom alot changes and I have learn to accept that you have to understand that being a mom is real life you cant get off track. I had my daughter at 19 so I really didnt have a chance to grow up so basically Im growing up around her with being a mom first and not a friend .

EachNewBreath
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

akmom2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

For me its definitely hard especially cause when i filed for cash assistance here they flat out told me work is first school is second my child is third...I told them thats not how i view it i view my child is first education is second and work is 3rd...they were so adament about me getting a job that i started stressing out with it that i started getting behind in my classes...i failed my classes this semester cause i was dealing with getting a job and being a single parent and having to do my homework at night while my daughter was in bed and i went to night classes so then it was doubly hard cause i was tired...its all how you manage your time that you will be able to handle everything...my advice do a part time job and not do a full schedule of classes so that way your stress isnt so high...good luck mama you can email me if you want to

SexyDiva19
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have lived with my mother ever since I had my son at 16. My son is now 7 years old. I am currently in school online and I have 2 jobs. One job working from home and the other job as a cashier overnight. I have no personal life lol so Idk what to tell you about that.

Um as far as getting school work done since your son is so young I'd suggest trying to get it done when he is asleep. Do you have any friends or family that could watch him for like an hour or 2 while you got homework done?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)