Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Anyone avoid facebook?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 17 Replies
Just curious if anyone else feels like me when it comes to facebook...it is great to connect to friends, but I can't help but have a twinge of resentment everytime someone mentions their "wonderful hubby" and perfect average American family. There are some things about being a single mom and independent that I love, but for some reason, facebook makes me focus on the opposite, because I don't fit in with the "happy family" motif of people my age. I find myself avoiding it for that reason. Does anyone else avoid facebook?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pattya925
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I avoid it periodically but not for that reason.  I love it to keep in touch with out-of-state friends/family... I hate the drama and sometimes I need a breather from the bombardment of posts about the same issue... I actually am off of FB this week because of the recent shootings.. I need time to process without having information and opinions thrown at me from all directions.  Plus, sometimes its just nice to be disconnected altogether!

avasmama1375
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
I hate Facebook I don't want to know about anybody's perfect life and I don't want anyone to know how shitty mine is
strngenough
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM
I don't avoid it for that reason. I don't want my friends to have hard lives so I don't hate them for being happy. I have learned that just because the picture looks perfect doesn't mean it is. Everyone has their own shit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by Lori on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM

I used to like it, now I only log on to check if my friend has emailed me.  Too many insults, I'm not putting up with them.  

easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:20 AM

From time to time.

eb13
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM
I definitely don't want to seem mean-spirited toward the positive others have. I think that's why I avoid it...so I don't feel the compulsion to compare myself or present my life in some way. I am happier when I don't do facebook.
GI_Jane230
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I like to keep up with old friends but I do not like to read a play-by-play of everyone's life.  I dont post on "FB or 'tweet" everytime I go to the grocery store!  Some people just put too much on there.

I dont avoid FB but i avoid those types of posts.  I just dont read them. 

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM
I don't avoid it, but I'm much happier without it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
I've been off it for almost a year. Nothing but fucking drama on there. Especially in my family!
MamaHens3
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I don't avoid it, but I don't feel the need to be on it too much these days. I will go on, if bored and see if my friends are on. See what their up to, if I haven't talked to my BFF longer then a few days. I will see if she's been on, if she updated something but I do not ninja people. I don't search for things, info or people since not always a good thing. I txt people, call etc but sometimes face book is easier to see what people are up to. My year old makes phone calls impossiable, and sees my phone she wants to play with it. 

I do notice the happy family stats, the I love my perfect bf and all that yet I don't pay much mind to it. I had that once upon a time, that was my life and just cause I don't have it anymore. Doesn't mean someone else isn't able to, and I shouldn't be happy for them. I don't get jealous, as much as I miss having a family unit like that. I see stats, pics of a family or couple. An I want that again, yet I'm in no rush to get it without knowing its right. I rushed with my now xdh, and look what happened. I rushed with my youngest dad, he was pushing getting engaged making me sort of freak. I'll have it when the time is right, I got a bf that I love and he loves me. He has told a buddy, who I met and he shared some info that he was told. He thinks I may be the one, and he lights up getting all giddy when he talks of me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)