car seatWhat would you do if you thought someone was abusing your child? How about bugging the baby's car seat to catch the abuser in the act? That's what one mom did before sending her 7-month-old to one of his regular visits with Dad.

Extreme? Maybe, but it worked. The father is now the subject of a child abuse investigation.

Suddenly doesn't sound so crazy, does it?

The sad fact is, child custody arrangements are supposed to be made with the child's best interests at heart, but it's not always so. You need evidence that your ex is an unfit parent to get custody yanked, but that's hard to come by ... especially when you have a 7-month-old who can't exactly communicate that Daddy is a bad, bad man.

So what do you do? Refuse to send your child on visits with Dad? It sounds like the "smart" option, until you consider that it's illegal to violate a court order. Mom does that, and now she is being carted off to jail, leaving the child with ... you guessed it ... dear old Dad.

What this mother did was risky. She sent her baby boy into the lion's den, knowing there was the chance he might be abused, that the recording device in his car seat might capture something awful. And the way the cops tell it, the little guy came out with injuries serious enough to require an ambulance ride to a hospital for treatment.

It hurts my heart to think of him in pain. And yet, I throw myself behind this mom 100 percent. What she did could prevent years of pain for this little guy.

What would you do? Would you have risked sending the child out with dad again?