Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

new mom to a 4 year old

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM
  • 11 Replies
Ok so here is the situation my best friend just became homeless and has a 4 year old little girl so she asked me if i would take temperary guardingship of her until she can get back on here feet and the childs dad is choosing his gf over his daughter i have been a nanny in the past so this isnt my first time wwith a young child but i may need help if behavorial issues come up and i am expecting they will i have been the only constent thing in her life
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eb13
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I am sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she is able to get support and her daughter back. If you need advice, I will do my best. I have a six year old who has been struggling with her dad and my divorce, so I might be able to relate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM
Is the mom going to live with you or just the child?
MamaHens3
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your friends distress, and how good of you as a friend. To help her out, and be there for her. That's a friend right there, she's lucky to have you and she trusted you with her child. Something for sure that shows you are respected. 

Be a parental figure to this child, but don't be a mother of course yet you know this I'm sure. Explain things on her level of age, mommy is having you take care of her since she needs to get things better. Is she going to be still around her mother, as in live with you or what? Something she needs to do, and keep doing is stay in this child life in a regular basics. Her father poor little one is choosing a chick, over her and at 4 they notice. You have experience as a nanny, so you know what to do and its just the parents aren't around. An your playing mother figure care giver role, you can do this. I have a 9 yr old, 7 yr old, 5 yr old and a year old. I have taken care of children also, since I was 9 some how baby sitting. 

dawnsnewmommy
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Yes the mother will be around but not living with us were she has to stay until she get her own place she cant have her daughterthe child knows me real well i have been her life sence she was 3 months old she stays with me quite abit already she has her own room and everything
MamaHens3
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Sounds like you got it then for sure in order, and just  a matter of telling the little girl momma is getting stuff in order for them to have a better life. If it comes up, she has known you all her life of 4 yrs lol. Your family to her. 

dawnsnewmommy
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Ya she calls me auntie and my mom gandma
dawnsnewmommy
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Ok so I found out the mom was lying to me its not that he doesmt want his daughter its he didn't want to deal with her any more so today he signed the guardianship papers so she is going to be mine full time forever and the mom has no say ahe has no cousdy of her daughter we are also in the process of trying to get her rights taken away so I can adopt the little girl does anybody know about third party coustdy
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Is the mom on drugs or something?
mrsary
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 9:10 AM
U are doing a VERY good thing!
dawnsnewmommy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

i really dont know i know her bf is or has in the past now she is tryting to say she is going to get a tro agenst me for her and the little girl but the thing is she is not the coustodial parent the father is and he has already signed guardianship over to me so i told her go a head and try the father is so on my side when it comes to this he said he will sign and say what ever he has to to keep dawn with me he realized the best thing for her is to be with me does anyone know of anyone in the tacoma washington area that has 4t to 5t cloths that i can have she is low on cloths she really needs a snow sute 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)