Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Giving Up Fun Stuff Sucks

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM
  • 6 Replies

My new job is having a Christmas dinner tomorrow for the staff, and even having limo service so no has to drive, but I found out last night I can not go. The only person I have in my life to watch my daughter is sick.

I have no other family I can count on, only my mom and she frankly is sick about 80% of the time because she lives such an unhealthy life. She has to come to my house to watch my daughter and gives me a hard time about being back by midnight at the latest because she has to drive home - she lives 20 minutes away. My daughter can not stay over at her house because well frankly her husband and her are hoarders and no one sets foot in their house. My dad is physically not capable of watching my daughter for more and a hour in the day time, and he never stays up past 10 pm ever. My brother has never offered and I have never asked, he seems too busy in his own life as is single dad. And my daughter's dad is a cover band musician so he never takes my daughter on weekends. I have one best friend that could do it if I asked but she is a stay home mom with two kids and is on call for work at the hospital so it is hard to plan out.

Far too often my plans get shafted last minute so I just give up. As nice as it would be to have some time to myself I know it just isn't going to ever happen. This entire year I have gone out with my friends 3 times. I went out to a concert by myself twice, and one was when I didn't need a sitter because she was at her dad's that Monday night. But that is the life of a single mother.

I am trying not to cry about it but I was really looking forward to that night.

Just needed to vent. I know I am not the only single mum that has this issue. :(

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM
You can't ask around for a trust worthy babysitter?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cadeesmommy0120
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I think you should ask your brother.  He's trustworthy right?  Maybe since he's a single dad y'all could do a sort of trade off?  He takes your DD for you tomorrow night and you offer to watch his kid/s for him?

Barblicious
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I have all ready told my work I can't go. It is what it is, I have been fighting a sinus infection all month so I will just take the evening to relax with my kiddo.

My brother has done the little kid stuff and I am sure wouldn't want to deal with pull ups as my daughter is still not potty trained she is fighting it massively. His daughter is now 13 and he finally has his life back to his own and has a stripper as a girlfriend, so I don't ask him. I know he would, but for a number of reasons I don't think I would ever ask him. I do trust him but... Only if it were last resort in an emergency would I ask him. LOL my family is complicated. Well aren't they all?

rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Why don't you ask your niece next time.  I bet she'd love to spend some time with her cousin and earn a few dollars of pocket change if you can afford it.

Quoting Barblicious:

I have all ready told my work I can't go. It is what it is, I have been fighting a sinus infection all month so I will just take the evening to relax with my kiddo.

My brother has done the little kid stuff and I am sure wouldn't want to deal with pull ups as my daughter is still not potty trained she is fighting it massively. His daughter is now 13 and he finally has his life back to his own and has a stripper as a girlfriend, so I don't ask him. I know he would, but for a number of reasons I don't think I would ever ask him. I do trust him but... Only if it were last resort in an emergency would I ask him. LOL my family is complicated. Well aren't they all?

Robsessed98
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Surely there are girls that babysit. Ask your friends and coworkers for a name and call her. Or do you have a drop in childcare center thats open at night? I did that once and she loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barblicious
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

LOL yah I don't think so all she cares about is her iPhone and make up and friends. She doesn't even do the chores she is supposed to do at home and she is spoiled in my opinion. I wish times were different, when I was her age, heck even younger I would babysit for a few bucks all the time.

Quoting rocky_mtn_mama:

Why don't you ask your niece next time.  I bet she'd love to spend some time with her cousin and earn a few dollars of pocket change if you can afford it.

Quoting Barblicious:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)