Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

New Here-Divorce Question

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hello. I'm Lindsay. I've been a single mom for a year now essentially. My husband started working out off state for months at a time and then just left us one day after our sons first birthday. It wasn't a surprise really despite his lying about has intentions. I want to get divorced but I admit I'm utterly clueless where to start. I actually don't know anyone who has done this. How do I choose a lawyer? What do I need? How much should I expect to pay to file? Suggestions and guidance are greatly appreciated!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Robsessed98
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Welcome to the group. Start by asking for references from anyone you know who's divorced or dealing with custody issues. Many attorneys will give free consultations, so that's a good place to start. He will lay out the laws and all you'll be dealing with so you understand. Idk the fees or filing costs where you live, be will be able to tell you that too. Then call around and get quotes on attorney fees. Then file for custody and support and start living your life again. In the meantime, if he asks to see the child, let him. It won't look good in court if you deny him access. You do have the right to have the visit supervised though if you're uncomfortable with him having the baby.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Thanks. The trouble is I don't know anyone who's been divorced in the area who could give me a reference for an attorney. I guess that's mainly why I'm so nervous.
He lives 5 started away so he won't be asking for visits. I actually went out for another event and only got him to see our son because I called his Mom.

Quoting Robsessed98:

Welcome to the group. Start by asking for references from anyone you know who's divorced or dealing with custody issues. Many attorneys will give free consultations, so that's a good place to start. He will lay out the laws and all you'll be dealing with so you understand. Idk the fees or filing costs where you live, be will be able to tell you that too. Then call around and get quotes on attorney fees. Then file for custody and support and start living your life again. In the meantime, if he asks to see the child, let him. It won't look good in court if you deny him access. You do have the right to have the visit supervised though if you're uncomfortable with him having the baby.

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Welcome to the group... In GA it cost $250 for filing fees...my attorney was $250 per hour with 10 hour minimum paid up front... make sure you have ALL YOUR FINANCIAL DOCUMENTATION,  knowing where he works also when it comes to determining the amount of child support and where to send the income deduction order...the time and cost can add up if you have children , property and retirement earnings to deal with all having to be divided... UGH ...it helps it you can discuss and agree on the division of assets before filing also...which unfortunately in my case my ex turned out to be a total ASS and would not agree on anything!!! so the process took 1 year and 1 month total...

mhaney03
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
How long have you been apart? Is there a waiting period in your state?

If you and him have nothing that you are fighting over, you could get away with doing it without a lawyer. I filed a no-fault divorce after the waiting period and it cost me less than $200
brwneyegirlsmom
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Please message me.  I have been thru this and I can tell you a few things that I would and should have done differently in regards to the visitation, etc.

lightoftheworld
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:20 PM
If you both agree on the divorce and the assets, I would try to do it without a lawyer. There are a bunch of websites that will help you with the paperwork and some even offer legal FAQ by phone.

As for your son, file for child support ASAP... They will determine the financial child support and custody issues. I had to file through my county attorney general (and I was able to do it online)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I've looked at things online and it says I cant use those sites because we have a child and have to arrange custody...?
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Welcome! Go to a few lawyers and get free consults some ymcas also to free or cheap legal advice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN