Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some lifting up or something

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 10 Replies

I live with my mom (who works full time) and my two boys (almost 3y & 4m). I recently obtained a job, part-time for right now, after being a SAHM for almost 3y. I worked 2 days last week then the office went on Christmas break until the 2nd. My oldest is also in pre-school so he's been home with me as well the entire time I've been off work and goes back to school on the 2nd. I'm finding it hard to get regular household things done. For example: tonight I really wanted to get the living room & kitchen cleaned, but couldn't because my oldest was tearing everything up and my youngest just kept crying. My mom isn't home tonight and not that I rely on her to help with all things, but tonight would have been nice so that I could have gotten some stuff done. My 2yo WILL NOT go to bed on his own unless someone is with him or I baby gate his butt in his room. I'm doing my best in trying to brake my oldests sleeping problems, but by the time I get him to bed I'm asleep :( So the things today just pile on top of each other for tomorrow, I just become so overwhelmed!! I'm exhausted and I find the time when my oldest is at school a relief in some sense, not that I don't love him because I do so much (he is so active, he literally will not sit down for more than 10secs and no he does not have ADD or ADHD). At the same time though, I just want to break down and cry most days because I still do not believe that I'm a single mother of 2 young kids and I'm just wondering how I'm going to be able to do it all. I put on a smile 98% of the time, but my smile can only hold so long.

by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissacst
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I know it's hard. I went from being a SAHM with money to a working mom living her my parents with little money. And don't feel bad about being relieved when he's at school. I'm pretty sure we all do. We all need a little me time

PNK2012
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM

First thing we as moms have to realize its 24hrs in a day even though in a single moms world its more like 28 to 30 hrs in a day and we push it to the limit. That onlycauses us to be exhausted. Take your time until the 2nd of January do what you can and then when school starts try and get on a schedule. For the days you work at the job dont try to do all the household things try to get kids dinner bath and bed. On the days you dont work and the older one is at school try to get some house work in and some me time. You have to get the little one on a schedule for example when you get up and get the 4 year old ready if you can get the little one ready a nice bath and bottle so he  is comfortable for the ride to school. Once you are back at home he  should be ready for breakfast  once completed clean up the kitchen and maybe even make dinner yes make dinner at 10 in the morning. By that time your little one should be ready for a nap and you should join him if you have to set the alarm so you are up within 1-2 hours and then doing any housekeeping needed. The key areas is the kitchen the bathroom. You can also start training your 4 year old for clean up time for his toys (i do it with my 3 year clean up clean up everybody cleanup its a little song). Depending on how your mom is see if you can get 1 -3 hours a week to yourself whether you have to ensure they are sleep first before you go, go for a walk in the park or the mall, visit a friend, what ever will help you relax and have some me time. I hope this helps. Hugs to you and the boys.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I feel ya girl. Its near impossible sometimes. Just because being a mom is a full time job doesn't mean you don't deserve some down time too. Don't feel bad for enjoying that down time. Sometimes the best way to get things done I've found, quiet the house and take 15 minutes to give the kids your undivided attention. Then you can do what you need or her them to help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MockingJay
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

He is 2. He needs things to do. Try including him in the clean up process? Get him a little wisk broom and dustpan at the dollar store. Get him a little water sprayer, fill it with water, and have him "clean" the bathrub. Give him a deamp cloth and ask him to help wash the chairs in the diningroom. Stand him at the sink with sudsy water, and sponge, and let him wash all the plastic things and silverware. Engage him in things you are doing. He will still be 2, but you can focus him to some degree. 

trublonde130
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I've done that and it ends up being a bigger mess then what it's worth, he'll either get distracted and go spray the TV or he'll dump all the soap in the sink then proceed to throw the water out of the sink onto the floor. He'll take the broom and whack people with it or chase the cat around the house mocking her meow's and hiss'.

Quoting MockingJay:

He is 2. He needs things to do. Try including him in the clean up process? Get him a little wisk broom and dustpan at the dollar store. Get him a little water sprayer, fill it with water, and have him "clean" the bathrub. Give him a deamp cloth and ask him to help wash the chairs in the diningroom. Stand him at the sink with sudsy water, and sponge, and let him wash all the plastic things and silverware. Engage him in things you are doing. He will still be 2, but you can focus him to some degree. 

easinpc
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Hugs!!

mz23
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Maybe,wake you and the kids up at the same time everyday, kinda early so they'll take more naps and go to bed earlier. Set up activities for 2 yo and put 4 month old in carrier while you clean. And,maybe let 2 yo pseudo help,you like give him a cloth so he can think he's you . My 6mo sleeps on me,95% of the time so I can't offer too,much help,with sleeping,issues
bbyblueAK
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

hugs

Shaybay218
by Shayla on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM

group hug

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Dec. 30, 2012 at 5:48 AM
*hugs*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)